• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Floor wrap?

Circleville Signs

OK - a little off the wall, but had a customer ask me about the feasibility of wrapping their entire retail floor space. I've seen some pictures of things like this but what I'm wondering is specifically the type of materials I should be looking into. The floor is currently polished concrete. He's thinking about changing it out at least once/year so I it could be a solid long term revenue source.

I'm assuming a cast material, and then some type of heavier non-slip laminate?

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations?

HulkSmash

OK - a little off the wall, but had a customer ask me about the feasibility of wrapping their entire retail floor space. I've seen some pictures of things like this but what I'm wondering is specifically the type of materials I should be looking into. The floor is currently polished concrete. He's thinking about changing it out at least once/year so I it could be a solid long term revenue source.

I'm assuming a cast material, and then some type of heavier non-slip laminate?

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations?

ij40 is the best stuff for this. I don't have my entire floor wrapped, but i have a pretty big spot covered. We don't walk on it much.. but it says it's only about a 6 month life... especially if it's walked on all day..
We did one 3 months ago, - di cut and everything and still looks good.

but i wouldn't warranty the stuff

HulkSmash

Could farm out the print, make your money off of the design an install.
I have never used it, but seen being installed at the Calgary Stampede grounds. Looked simple-tiger torch and a paint roller.

or you could do it yourself with a solvent printable material.

If it's inside, i use a thick laminate.. any intermediate will work..
if it's outdoor, i use 8518

Circleville Signs

Yeah - the asphalt art stuff looks like it would be great - but from what I know the coverage area is going to be around 1500 sf. That's a crazy amount of cost. Dude could just hire a painter to come in and muralize it for less than that...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a UL rated slip resitant lam in the $0.22 sq.ft range that you should be putting on top of a 3M Vinyl. Since its short term and not walked on all the time you should be able to do this no problem.

Circleville Signs

I have a UL rated slip resitant lam in the $0.22 sq.ft range that you should be putting on top of a 3M Vinyl. Since its short term and not walked on all the time you should be able to do this no problem.

That's the thing though - it IS walked on all the time. This is a retail space. He wants the entire floor wrapped. I may try to get him to do this in a way where the main footpath areas are not wrapped, and that negative space is worked into the design - however no matter what, this stuff will be getting walked on, at least moderately heavily, 7/365.

HulkSmash

That's the thing though - it IS walked on all the time. This is a retail space. He wants the entire floor wrapped. I may try to get him to do this in a way where the main footpath areas are not wrapped, and that negative space is worked into the design - however no matter what, this stuff will be getting walked on, at least moderately heavily, 7/365.

How about Lustex for lam? That stuff is pretty anti slip

signswi

He'd be better of projecting images from above or something. No product can handle what he's asking for or you'd see every retail shop in the country using it.

Asphalt Art is your best bet, farm out a sample to test for 6 months in some area of the store with average traffic.

Circleville Signs

Well - I've seen stuff out there. Not sure if it's done with wrap vinyl, or even vinyl at all, or if it is direct printed to some type of flooring compound....

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've put down several rolls of 3M IJ40 laminated with 3M 3645. That 3645 is some tough stuff. It's been down for over a year now on the hallway floors of a very busy school at the Fort Jackson US Army base and it still looks great and is in near perfect condition. This has many exposed edges as well and gets machine cleaned. One thing we did do though was to cut the laminate 3/4 of an inch larger than each print. This gives extra hold and an thinner profile at the edges. It's an expensive combo though..... but hey, your tax dollars were well spent and I'd never overcharge the DOD. :thumb:

One catch for this one though - hard heels are rare..... 99.9% rubber soled boots and sneakers.

I've put down several rolls of 3M IJ40 laminated with 3M 3645. That 3645 is some tough stuff. It's been down for over a year now on the hallway floors of a very busy school at the Fort Jackson US Army base and it still looks great and is in near perfect condition. This has many exposed edges as well and gets machine cleaned. One thing we did do though was to cut the laminate 3/4 of an inch larger than each print. This gives extra hold and an thinner profile at the edges. It's an expensive combo though..... but hey, your tax dollars were well spent and I'd never overcharge the DOD. :thumb:

One catch for this one though - hard heels are rare..... 99.9% rubber soled boots and sneakers.

we use the ij160 c floorminders with the 3645 laminate. It is super thick and we sell it to warehouse with foot and forklift traffic. We print with an acuity flatbed.

the graphics co

I don't think the type of vinyl is as important as the laminate, it has to be rated for foot traffic and slip resistance, i am sure there are a number of options. I use GBC for this type of application, they make a floor laminate that i believe is called Arctic Floor Cast only available up to 51" though. The vinyl should just be something that you will be able to remove without killing yourself every year or so.