• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Floor wrap?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I've done a few huge graphics ... stuff never went from edge to edge but it was in a retail store in the mall and was a 12' circle ... used a 6 or 8 mil pebble finish laminate ... lasted almost about a year of constant wear and tear without any real issues ... did some maintenance on it (trimming and the such) made it last a year or so easily. Won't last forever but it's possible. Personally, I wouldn't do a wall to wall floor wrap, not very economical for the customer for a very short lifetime. If the space is permanent you could always have fun with it. (i'm just going to spitball here so bear with me) you can easily do a printed substrate with a surface over top that won't touch the prints (like a 1/4 hole punched grate that is tightly spaced or thick plexi) with lighting underneith to illuminate the print through the surface. (think glass bottom boat style) ... could also work with a painted flooring (lots of epoxy paint coats) or find someone who knows how to faux finish concrete (ussually lots of stains, and acids) to create the same image, both are longer lasting than a print if done correctly. Personally though I would probably find a nice high quality commercial flooring, and make a "mosaic" style floor pattern out of the flooring have have it professionally installed.

Sticky Signs

Your material choice sounds about right and the polished concrete sounds like a pretty good working surface. I've seen floor graphics last a very long time and some only last a few days. The ones that fail are usually on a crappy surface or are subject to abuse such as something being dragged across. It can be done but be prepared (and make sure the customer is prepared - to pay) to have to go back to make repairs as necessary. I would also try to arrange things in a strategic manor knowing that you will with out a doubt have to make repairs. Seams are a week point but you have to have them so try putting them in spots that make sense and make for an easier repair.

Now, if your client wanted something more permanent, I would suggest a different method.