Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flower logo

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by wildside, Nov 15, 2012.

1. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    I want to get a first impression from some people on this logo concept.

Background on it is this:
    Client wants a new look, although no input on what they want, they have always used "brush script" and a clipart rose etc, very "cheap" looking. (they have a cousin that is good with art and is a sign guy):rolleyes:

They are actually looking to have a new van done, we did this design for them thinking we would take a stab in the dark based off conversations and the business relationship over time. We have had discussions about a logo and branding and moving forward with an actual image. We showed it to them, and their response kinda made me think "WTF!"

I will let you know their response after i get some unknown feedback. So, anyone wanna chime in, good bad or ugly?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Doesn't "feel" very flowery to me, but I can see a lot of potential in it with further development

3. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    I agree with SignManiac. Just doesn't seem "flowery". I think it's the font. Has more of a garage or trucking company feel to it to me.

4. laserman70

laserman70 Very Active Member

Dec 25, 2007
    usa
    The font is more like motorcycle gang then flowers

5. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    Shot in the dark as to what me think "WTF"....

Flower image is kinda phallic. I'll intentionally neglect to post the outline of what they might have seen.

PS - most customer dont look at fonts the same way we do... they like the pretty pictures and happy colors. Most can't even tell the difference between serif and sans. But they sure as heck know "papyrus".

PPS - if it was me, I'd lose the stem entirely, tilt the flower, and move to an edge of copy.

6. WI

WI Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Right off the top of my head I want the effects to match on all the lettering. In the stacked version the depth and thickness of the drop shadow is much larger on "Flower" than it is on "Gallery."

You might also want to work on the flower design a little more, it looks a little rushed next to that font.

Also, riffing off what seems to be general agreement thus far, the font looks a little too OK Corral for a flower shop. You can shoot for something that's the same weight, but less serifs, more curves.

7. wildside

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    fair enough, i didn't see the "ok corral" look until it was said, now thats all i see...hehehe

the response i was given by them was:

"loose the flower type thing, i don't think people will understand its a flower, and anyway it is taking up too much room and looks too busy, the lettering is the logo, but lets change it to something fancier, like what we have done before, i think its called handwriting or something like that, do you have a clipart book i can look at flowers in"......

i was dumbfounded, i know mine needs works and is just a rough draft to get the ball rolling, but their idea to brand their business appears to be to use brush script or wedding script with a tombstone style rose stuck to the side, just like they have always done and they think it looks fantastic, i was also told that those symbols people put with their names are weird sometimes and make no sense, he means all logos are just text, anything more is just not worth it cause people don't pay attention to symbols, he means fricken logos!!

8. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I actually agree with them.
    That flower looks like something for a quilt.
    A rose would be more appropriate as well as a nice script.
    Yours is very masculine looking.
    Love...Jill

9. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    I think the type could actually work, given the right application, and the right direction for the rest of the business. It definitely differs from the super flowery, script-y competition, though its "old timey" look is popular enough with other industries (remains to be seen if it's a trend or not). The illustrative elements are way too rigid though.

10. Jillbeans

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Here's a real quick quickie, I used a flower I had from an old job as an example.

Attached Files:

11. SD&F

SD&F Very Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    You need to soften it up a bit.

12. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    +1 Agreed. Too many hard straight lines. Get some flow to the flower logo. Pun intended. :D

13. wildside

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    UPDATE on this:

After some variations here and there in the design process, we took Jill's idea and went with our take on it and this is the result. The client really likes this one and is moving forward on the van next. They still do not see a "logo" as something that is necessary...:banghead:

Attached Files:

14. Jillbeans

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Glad I could help.
    Not in love with the green flower tho.
    :)

15. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Way better Jill is a genius & you made look great glad you stayed with script.

16. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I think your original with a little modification was better.

17. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    why the green for the flower? with the red & green and that flower, it looks like Christmas. I think the font you used for the script will be so much better than Brush Script but with a font that flows and creates movement, the flower and lines seem to fight that movement instead of accenting it. it's like seeing a painting of ocean waves with a boat that isn't moving smack in the middle of it, it doesn't feel right.