• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fluo yellow

31legen

Looking for a profile for an s80600 that can get as close as possible to a Fluor yellow. I know it won't get there all the way but I'm convinced it's nearly possible with the capabilities of this printer. Also what rgb value are you guys using for a Fluor yellow.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Print our a Pantone chart and see what all you can get in that color range and then go from there and tweak some values of the closest colors.

31legen

Thank you for your help. I did that with mixed results. It seems that I can't get enough saturation for the color to pop enough.

I'm just amazed how many people are asking absolute noob questions like how to print pearl color and fluor yellow and gold and stuff I mean just look at the CMYK color gamut if you find your color there you can start trying out different combinations but 'gimme the rgb value for... ' is not like a serial number for your newest hacked game. First of all RGB is a combination for LIGHT and CMYK is for material. My best advice is to take a color theory class.
rgb_colour_gamut.jpg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I agree with the above post. There just isn't any way you will get even close. Florescent yellow is requires either a light source or special pigments that just aren't in the inks these printers use. You can get a very yellow yellow but it won't ever come close to florescent.

unclebun

When my customers ask for fluorescent yellow, what they are really wanting is a yellow that is slightly tinged with green. You need to explain to them that you cannot print an actual fluorescent color with regular CMYK inks, and there are no digital printers which carry actual fluorescent inks. Unfortunately there are some vendors out there who aggressively advertise they have fluorescent graphics, and so the customers believe that they do. This is a description of the color commonly called fluorescent yellow, or electric lime: Fluorescent yellow / [HASHTAG]#ccff00[/HASHTAG] hex color ([HASHTAG]#cf0[/HASHTAG])

I find that to print it, I cannot use 20C 0M 100Y 0K as they describe, but have to use less cyan and pull back a bit on the yellow too.

jfiscus

Rap Master
He has a machine with more than CMYK inks for those here just quoting "CMYK spectrum" so he can hit a lot of colors outside of the standard 4-color spectrum. In your RIP turn up your saturation to 25% more in all colors and print another Pantone chart out and then turn them all up 50% and print another chart. We have a couple charts for those customers who want to hit a very specific color that isn't possible with most eco-solvent inks without saturation/ink density increases. Makes it a bit finicky sometimes, but it might make a light greenish-yellow a lot closer to a a fluorescent color.

Be careful running a lot of outdoor prints with those additional colors on in your RIP, those colors are NOT warranted for any length of time by Epson and do fade. We recently went with a 60600 (dual cmyk) to alleviate issues we had with our previous 70670/70675 series printers.

Shaun S

Any tiny bit of color that you add to pure yellow is just going to make the yellow darker. T_K is absolutely correct. The best you can do is to print 100% yellow on a pearl or metallic material in order to get that "pop" that you're looking for.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
DayGlo [trademark] and generic fluro, for want of a better term, colors are made with pigments ground to a specific wavelength. They essentially are monochromatic and are not reproducible in CMYK, RGB, LAB, or any other color space. They very much are their own thing color wise.

Last edited:

31legen

Jfiscus, thank you for your response. To the jackass, (ewded). I know all about color gamut etc.. I realize that you can't print fluorescent yellow. You can get close to the color without the neon glow on an s80600.

Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Looking for a profile for an s80600 that can get as close as possible to a Fluor yellow. I know it won't get there all the way but I'm convinced it's nearly possible with the capabilities of this printer. Also what rgb value are you guys using for a Fluor yellow.

Profiles are very specific to printer / ink / media and their settings, you know? You never mentioned what media you’re using or a plethora of other settings. If someone were to send you a profile, how would you know if your machine behaves the same as the one from which the profile was created?

In any case, it was easy for me to lookup fluorescent yellow at the Pantone website. Using the sRGB color space the values are: 237, 255, 0, or edff00 in Hex, or 96, -23, 92 in Lab for PANTONE 13-0630 TN Safety Yellow.
Sure enough, holding a fluorescent yellow hi-lighter marker and a fluorescent shop-cloth against my monitor confirmed the match.

Despite what you may have read in earlier posts, the color seems to fit in sRGB and certainly Lab. After all, the Lab color space describes mathematically all perceivable colors and even the lowly sRGB color space standard for computer monitors can emit as much yellow-green light as the fluorescent yellow you’re looking for. Although many ICC profiles reach the gamut, the prints from your machine will only come close (as you expect) because the ink and media simply does not have the characteristics of other true fluorescent processes such as dye sublimation printing or special ink with optical brightener additives.

You might check any profiles you have by using the gamut warning tool in Photoshop using the values from above. I find it’s within gamut of many profiles I have on my system for media I use.

Good luck.