• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fluro Color Printing onto white media

WizardPrinting

Hi everyone, I have been a long time viewer of the forum first time signing up and posting!
I have been trying to work this out for sometime now, with no one in the industry here in Australia shedding any light on what I want to know!
How do these people print these orange colors, and Fluro colors, the do orange, yellow and green onto white media?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Attachments

• image4.PNG
    image4.PNG
    286.3 KB · Views: 680
  • image3 (1).PNG
    image3 (1).PNG
    222.7 KB · Views: 578
  • image1 (6).PNG
    image1 (6).PNG
    279.9 KB · Views: 524
  • image2 (1).PNG
    image2 (1).PNG
    340.6 KB · Views: 399

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Some machines can do those colors, some of those might also be printed onto a simple solid color change vinyl with white ink.

shepherddesigns

SignWarehouse has a desktop solvent printer with fluorescent inks. PrismJet VJ 24x. No idea on quality, but I looked at this as an option when I was looking for a printer for heat transfer vinyl.

ProPDF

Summa DC5 spot color and eco solvent. Probably Epson with orange ink or Mimaki with Orange ink also depending on the file. Summa sqft cost is extremely high. There are other ways to get this but this is the most common. Just order a set and take it apart if you really want to tell. Much cheaper than spending all this time making calls and researching.

burgmurk

more likely it's multiple layers of vinyl, a machine with white ink printing over fluorescent vinyl, or a screen print.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The Epson S80600 can print Pantone 021C (KTM Orange).
Ours should be installed this week, and yes we have tested and compared the prints to Pantone charts.
Couldn't hit it on any other printer we had, although you might be able to get a Summa DC5 spot colour to match.

ChrisN

I can second the Epson S80600 for a very bright orange. I don't know how it compares to a true fluorescent orange, but I know we can match Gerber 220 Bright Orange vinyl with it. Of course, that doesn't help much if you want fluorescent green, though.

jfiscus

Rap Master
With an printer with white ink option you can just print the decals onto the appropriately colored (flourescent) wrapping vinyl and end up with a product just like these.

SlikGRFX

With an printer with white ink option you can just print the decals onto the appropriately colored (flourescent) wrapping vinyl and end up with a product just like these.

It's not that easy with motocross graphics. You need a conformable material with a high bond adhesive that will adhere to low energy plastics. I don't know of any off the shelf fluorescent/neon vinyls with the correct adhesive properties. I guess it's possible to apply the adhesive afterwards, like you would to a sub surface print, but it would be costly. Also, it's not straight forward printing white onto neon vinyl. White inkjet just wouldn't cover and the neon would bleed through. You have to underprint with a blockout colour first, and that means several coats of white to then acheive a nice bright white. It's just not viable. Neon even bleeds through on a thermal print with a white floodcoat ribbon. Been there, done it.

My guess is that these are printed on a thermal printer (either Gerber Edge or Summa DC5) onto white vinyl using Zeronine and Gerber Fluorescent foils. I'm not sure if Zeronine are doing foils for the Summa yet, but I heard the Gerber foils can be cut to size and wound into Summa cartridges.

Finally, don't expect the longest lifespan from any neon thermal print. All foils carry the disclaimer 'not for outdoor use' and will fade rapidly in direct sunlight, even with laminate.

Last edited: