• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fluroescent Chrome Vinyl

dynamicdezigns

i bought a 30 yard roll of fluorescent green chrome vinyl in the past few months. installed a window visor on a car in town about 2 months ago, and now the top 1/2" or so, has lost the coloring. anyway to prevent this? the roll of material looks fine, was fine when installed. think the vinyl was made by Creative Vinyl?? its supposed to be 5 year outdoor durability...

letterman7

Sometimes you learn the hard way. Chrome vinyls are the worst for exterior use, I've never heard of any that have a 5 year warranty that actually held up. If it was a mylar base, 2 years is about their limit on a vertical surface; horizontal (and windshields would be considered that) less than half their rated life. About the only way you might prolong the color is to put a clear laminate on top.

S

spmracing

Sometimes you learn the hard way. Chrome vinyls are the worst for exterior use, I've never heard of any that have a 5 year warranty that actually held up. If it was a mylar base, 2 years is about their limit on a vertical surface; horizontal (and windshields would be considered that) less than half their rated life. About the only way you might prolong the color is to put a clear laminate on top.

+1, I wont use colored chrome without lam..

dynamicdezigns

what would be the easiest way of laminating it? just using a vinyl cutter... i have no laminator yet.. cut same design in clear vinyl, then layer?

S

spmracing

That is probably the best way if you dont have a laminator and no clear vinyl.. If not send it out im sure it wont cost more than $5 and is cheaper than buying clear vinyl

heyskull

Fluorescent and Chrome are the worst to be used outside but both together is a sure recipe for disaster.
As for fitting onto a windscreen I wouldn't guarantee any further than a day even less if it rains.
I have had both Fluorescent and Chrome fail within 6 months.
The Colour is just printed over the chrome so that is gonna wear off and as for covering in clear laminate even the best gloss laminates make the chrome loose its shine.
I didn't think any manufacturer would give a 5 year warranty on chrome but it is worth calling them and have a moan.

SC

dynamicdezigns

yeah, just learned my lesson with it.. im new to the graphics world, so i still got some learning to do. thanks anyone for your help! :notworthy: