• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flush pad

PromoGuyTy

So...I want a spare flush pad here on hand for my Epson...

Is spending $85 for flush pad + some gloves + some fancy qtips really my only option?

Sources for Epson parts, other than Epson?

Thanks in advance.

[background...we've been running our GS6000 for about 8 months...and loving it the whole time]

jhanson

The Mutoh flushing pads for the ValueJet 1618 will fit the GS6000. Contact any Mutoh dealer and they should be able to get you pricing.

BPI Color

When printing, do you have flush on to paper enabled? If you can afford the 1/2" left and right this will cost you in material leave it on. This will extend the life of your flushing pad. In addition, the green head can clog permanently without flushing enabled. If you're inside your warranty you're only out time. If you're out of warranty, ouch!

jhanson

There's no way to actually disable the flushing function on the machine. It either flushes to the pad, or to the media and occasionally to the pad. Flushing on the media I've found is annoying to most sign shops, since it takes away from the material width, and that adds up quickly (more than the cost of a flushing pad, I would expect).

BPI Color

There's no way to actually disable the flushing function on the machine. It either flushes to the pad, or to the media and occasionally to the pad. Flushing on the media I've found is annoying to most sign shops, since it takes away from the material width, and that adds up quickly (more than the cost of a flushing pad, I would expect).

I believe you're mistaken concerning the GS6000. Because I have one and run about half my work on it.:smile: Perhaps this thread is about some other printer and I missed it, in which case apologies, etc...

jhanson

I happen to be in a shop with a GS6000 as well, and we always run it with the flushing on media disabled.

I also spent several years working as a Mutoh technician installing ValueJet printers, all of which come with the same flushing option as the GS6000. 99% of the shops I installed those machines in wanted the on media option turned off, to the point where Mutoh shipped a technical bulletin explaining how to disable that option during installation.

But to each his own, I suppose.

BPI Color

I happen to be in a shop with a GS6000 as well, and we always run it with the flushing on media disabled.

I also spent several years working as a Mutoh technician installing ValueJet printers, all of which come with the same flushing option as the GS6000. 99% of the shops I installed those machines in wanted the on media option turned off, to the point where Mutoh shipped a technical bulletin explaining how to disable that option during installation.

But to each his own, I suppose.

To each their own yes. However, I would add that I am currently 3 for 3 with advice from GS6000 sanctified install/repair techs. They have uniformly recommended running with flush on to paper due to the failures of the green heads if not enough ink is pushed through. If you have custom profiles that use enough green and orange inks then you're in the clear. However, I receive numerous files where I am required to match to SWOPv2 or Sheetfed Coated printed materials. That color space makes very little use of the green. And I already had a head replaced because I wasn't pushing enough green through without flushing. Better safe than sorry.

C

ColoPrinthead

To each their own yes. However, I would add that I am currently 3 for 3 with advice from GS6000 sanctified install/repair techs. They have uniformly recommended running with flush on to paper due to the failures of the green heads if not enough ink is pushed through. If you have custom profiles that use enough green and orange inks then you're in the clear. However, I receive numerous files where I am required to match to SWOPv2 or Sheetfed Coated printed materials. That color space makes very little use of the green. And I already had a head replaced because I wasn't pushing enough green through without flushing. Better safe than sorry.
I appreciate your comments in this thread. I have recently taken a position with two GS6000s, one which can not produce the vibrant green and I believe that I may have inherited the issue you are speaking of. Did you have to replace the head after trying other options?

Are you saying that the green was not flushing due to the lack of it in your files or because flushing had been disabled?

Freese

I think some may be confused..

The flush pad is the pad that absorbs ink...the printhead will always use that to clean itself.

Ink flush is the black line it puts on both the left and right, it is basically exhausting all 8 colors to keep the head primed and running nice.

BPI Color

I think some may be confused..

The flush pad is the pad that absorbs ink...the printhead will always use that to clean itself.

Ink flush is the black line it puts on both the left and right, it is basically exhausting all 8 colors to keep the head primed and running nice.

With the GS6000, if you don't flush onto the media it flushes through the pad (according to our install tech from Advantage). This same tech advised me to leave flushing on in order to keep all heads - especially the green - clear and running.

stoneandtle

I'm not sure I understand...if the GS6000 doesn't flush on the media, then it flushes on the pad, then why would there be a problem with any of the heads? Flushing on media...flushing on pad...it would seem that as long as its flushing somewhere that this shouldn't be a problem. If this is not the case, then what is it flushing on the pad? Only certain colors?

jhanson

I suppose it has to do with the frequency of the flushing. When you flush on the pad, it only spits there once for every 5 passes. When you flush on the media, it's constantly spitting on both sides of the media, which supposedly uses more ink.