• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flying To Florida For The Last Space Shuttle Launch - Tips?

Border

So, I'm seriously thinking of flying down there with my daughter to witness the last shuttle launch.

Looking for tips from anyone who has been to one, where's the best place to be, traffic, parking, places to stay, etc.?

Also would fun to hook up and say hi to some people from the forum, check out your shop so I can call it a business trip! LOL

We'd probably fly into Orland on the Thursday the 7th and fly back home on Monday, maybe Tuesday.

stillhasdust

I hear you have to register to be entered into a drawing for the possibility to purchase tickets.

http://web.venue365.com/ksc/index.jsp

You can purchase up to 6 tickets if you are selected. I only need two so if I get selected I will offer to them to anybody here that needs four tickets or less. Also if any body else is selected and would like to share the tickets please think about me.

PS...Mach you are right I remember going to Kennedy Space Center on a school field trip a LONG time ago and our bus having to come to stop because gators were crossing the street like ducks

SignManiac

I filled out the application this morning for the lottery too.

TIP: be prepared for the possibility of a scrub. Some times you win, sometimes you lose.

Border

Thanks! Never would have known to fill out that form. I just did so. Do you know how many they pick?

-Fingers crossed! and hopefully, no scrubbed launch!

Border

How much can you see from another vantage point other than where they sell the tickets for?

TheSnowman

It was scheduled a long time ago to be the last one, and we'd have the new spacecraft coming in. Apparently now that we've borrowed till we can't borrow anymore (even though they're still trying to change that) the budget doesn't exist to support much more of NASA. From what I hear it's basically going to become the private sector getting people to space now.

Anyone feel free to correct me if that's wrong. I haven't "sat down" and studied it...that's just what I've put together from stuff I gathered.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Tip: If you are making a video make sure you start recording at least 30 seconds before the count down timer gets to zero. If not you may miss the initial take off.

Ditto on the possibility of a scrub.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Border - get there wayyyyyyyyy early if you don't get a ticket. And even if you do. Traffic will be a nightmare. If you don't get a ticket I know there are roads you can park on and see the launch... here's a link to the pix I took a couple years ago. It is going to be crazy crowded there... we decided against going although I wish we were.

SignManiac

Border - get there wayyyyyyyyy early if you don't get a ticket. And even if you do. Traffic will be a nightmare. If you don't get a ticket I know there are roads you can park on and see the launch... here's a link to the pix I took a couple years ago. It is going to be crazy crowded there... we decided against going although I wish we were.

We, "my business partners" and I are taking all of our employees that want to go there, and giving them two days off with pay, food and booze, as part of our summer employee party time thing we try to do every year. So I hope the launch goes off without a hitch. I need a couple of days to relax.

bjones

Unless you know someone and can get somewhere special i'd not even consider it. The last launch people were literally stuck on the 528 up to 25 miles away from the cape because there was just that much traffic and that many people. At that rate you might just as well go to daytona instead and sit on the beach and watch it. The melbourne area is just insanity.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/new...aunch-brings-traffic-nightmare-to-Space-Coast

There's just one road in and out of the cape.

Mike F

We, "my business partners" and I are taking all of our employees that want to go there, and giving them two days off with pay, food and booze, as part of our summer employee party time thing we try to do every year.
:U Rock: You hiring? :Big Laugh

Craig Sjoquist

IT IS THE MOST AWESOME SIGHT, FEELING, SOUND ... I did that in caps cause it really is.

If you go and get to the coast near the shuttle launch site and can see the shuttle, your at a good spot of course closer the better.
A great spot is on or near the 528 bridge since you can feel the rumble which travels across the water better then land also the sound.
If you can be in a boat the view is well beyond belief.

Traffic .... tips... The last launch ..500,000 people showed up, I expect more this launch, arrive early like way early for better viewing ... OK leaving ... forget it for at least 3 hrs Tittisville is turning into a ghost town fast, find a place to enjoy so you DO NOT have to drive otherwise you will be sitting in a parking lot for 50 miles which will take 4 hrs ...not kidding ( anywhere within site )

Do not let anything stop you from seeing, be there, be early, relax, take photos, videos,( set up automatic ) have a awesome enjoyable time...including after .. no better sight, sound feeling just being there as good as ya can get is lifetime of great memories.

PS do not worry if you can not get the best spot even if your on ...HWY 50 from Orlando East .. it will be in front of you and a awesome site like it was in your backyard.

m giese

The viewing from the NASA causeway, accessible via the visitor complex ticket lottery is the closest view available to civilians (not well connected). If you are fortunate enough to purchase tickets and get in the middle of the Banana River on the causeway, the view is spectacular. There is nothing between you and pad 39A but some mangrove islands, birds, and gators. Oh yeah, and about 6 miles. It is a little spendy... especially for 30 or so seconds. But what a great view and experience.

That being said, here are some alternatives,

Almost anywhere along Rt. 1 in Titusville with a water view. Generally, between the NASA causeway, and SR402, which is also known as the Brewer Memorial Parkway you will find people parking in vacant lots, behind businesses, almost anywhere with water access to view across the Indian River Lagoon. Respect the no launch parking signs please...

There is very limited parking on the west end of the Brewer Mem. pkwy at Parish Park, It is also a decent view over the water from there, but those spots go quick and early. They also have a small strip of beach at the park. The Brewer mem. pkwy causeway to Merritt Island is under lock-down for the launch, and generally reopens an hour or so after the shuttle has left the pad.

Those spots are prime. It is not just the view, but the sounds of it leaving the pad are incredible, you miss that from farther away, and it is truly part of the experience.

The shuttle can be seen once it clears the pad (weather/haze permitting) from a long way off, depending on where you are, and the launch declination.

As others have said, it will be crazy crowded, Titusville is a small town with a space problem... Other than Rt 1, which is 4 lanes, most everything else is two lane, residential streets. Could take a couple of hours to get out of there after the launch, and may take longer than that to find a parking spot if you don't get there early.

Places to stay;

there are some options in Titusville, mostly "old Florida" motels and a few franchise hotels. I would be surprised if there is availability left. If not, maybe consider Cocoa Beach. Orlando under NORMAL circumstances is about an hour away.

Restrooms;

There aren't any public restrooms that I can remember in Titusville. other than possibly at Parish Park. You are at the mercy of the shops and merchants.

And since this is a SIGN forum, this is taken from NASA's website, and pertains to the Vehicle Assembly Building;

" Flag & Bicentennial Emblem: Added in 1976, required 6,000 gallons of paint. The flag is 64 x 33.5 meters (209 x 110 ft) in size. Each strip on the flag is as big as the tour buses used to transport visitors around KSC"

Have a great experience if you go... - Mark