• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flying To Florida For The Last Space Shuttle Launch - Tips?

PGSigns

I have been to two and since I am "well connected" as it was put above I watched both from the launch control building next to the VAB. The view is good but even there you are 3 miles out. The sound is insane, the ground shakes and the VAB seems to stop it and dump it on you. It is something you will never forget. When we go we still try and get on the base 4 hours before a launch and that was when it was not as many folks going. Cocoa beach is also an option but you need a room at a hotel there because you are not getting out any time soon.
Jimmy
NASA by day signs by night

Border

The viewing from the NASA causeway, accessible via the visitor complex ticket lottery is the closest view available to civilians (not well connected). If you are fortunate enough to purchase tickets and get in the middle of the Banana River on the causeway, the view is spectacular. There is nothing between you and pad 39A but some mangrove islands, birds, and gators. Oh yeah, and about 6 miles. It is a little spendy... especially for 30 or so seconds. But what a great view and experience.

That being said, here are some alternatives,

Almost anywhere along Rt. 1 in Titusville with a water view. Generally, between the NASA causeway, and SR402, which is also known as the Brewer Memorial Parkway you will find people parking in vacant lots, behind businesses, almost anywhere with water access to view across the Indian River Lagoon. Respect the no launch parking signs please...

There is very limited parking on the west end of the Brewer Mem. pkwy at Parish Park, It is also a decent view over the water from there, but those spots go quick and early. They also have a small strip of beach at the park. The Brewer mem. pkwy causeway to Merritt Island is under lock-down for the launch, and generally reopens an hour or so after the shuttle has left the pad.

Those spots are prime. It is not just the view, but the sounds of it leaving the pad are incredible, you miss that from farther away, and it is truly part of the experience.

The shuttle can be seen once it clears the pad (weather/haze permitting) from a long way off, depending on where you are, and the launch declination.

As others have said, it will be crazy crowded, Titusville is a small town with a space problem... Other than Rt 1, which is 4 lanes, most everything else is two lane, residential streets. Could take a couple of hours to get out of there after the launch, and may take longer than that to find a parking spot if you don't get there early.

Places to stay;

there are some options in Titusville, mostly "old Florida" motels and a few franchise hotels. I would be surprised if there is availability left. If not, maybe consider Cocoa Beach. Orlando under NORMAL circumstances is about an hour away.

Restrooms;

There aren't any public restrooms that I can remember in Titusville. other than possibly at Parish Park. You are at the mercy of the shops and merchants.

And since this is a SIGN forum, this is taken from NASA's website, and pertains to the Vehicle Assembly Building;

" Flag & Bicentennial Emblem: Added in 1976, required 6,000 gallons of paint. The flag is 64 x 33.5 meters (209 x 110 ft) in size. Each strip on the flag is as big as the tour buses used to transport visitors around KSC"

Have a great experience if you go... - Mark

Thanks! good info