• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FO 62 - Encoder Problem

Ghost Prophet

I've replaced the encoder strip on my Falcon Outdoor 62 for the first time ever. The old one was just that, really old, and past the point of cleaning to clear up the problems I was having with it.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the Falcon to work again with the new encoder, and the service manual is next to useless for this process.

I'd like to be able to get into "Adjustments" in the service menu as I am convinced this is the only way to get it running again, but every time I go into "Adjustments" it wants to scan the media and then spits out the error "Undefined Paper" just before it reaches the end of the media. I've already switched out the media for different sizes and checked the encoder with a flashlight and everything seems fine.

Just can't figure this one out. Any help would be appreciated.

Ghost Prophet

Is there any way a problem with the encoder strip could cause an undefined paper error? I feel like I've ruled everything else out, but you never know with the Falcon. -_-

I do however find it odd that the head carriage always stops and errors in the exact same spot, no matter what type/length of material I toss on there. This makes me very suspicious of the encoder strip.

Falcon users motto: "Never give up, never surrender!" :banghead:

artbot

even with a bad encoder (faulty) that should in most cases just result in it adding steps going back to the right because it missed a few going left. i'm not familiar with your printer but in general the media sensor is the on/off and the encoder counts. if it's failing at the same spot then there would have to be a major issue that you could see under magnification, right? i recently had an encoder sensor go out. it was causing mayhem.

when you replaced the encoder strip, after getting out of the machine, did it look horrible?

Ghost Prophet

The old encoder strip looked pretty aweful, yes.

I've quadroople-checked (sp?) all of the sensors and will be attempting to flip this encoder strip on Monday to see if anything different happens, or possibly going back to the old encoder to try and rule out the encoder as a problem.

In any case it looks like we might get a new Mimaki or Roland, so drinks on me! :D

artbot

in that case your printer is dead. i'd suggest parting it out on ebay. you do have a touchy issue. there should be a media measure bypass, you'd think that would be a must for fixing these things.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I just replaced mine on a 1304.
The only issues I noted was to make sure the end with the clipped corner was installed on the capping end and that the peel off protective film was removed from the front of the strip.
With those 2 taken care of the printer booted up correctly without any adjustments needed.
Might be apples to oranges but they are both Mutohs.

wayne k
guam usa

alfred

Hello
If the head stops in the same place every time clean the tape in that place maybe fingerprints in that position

CRD

Close the top cover to cover the front media sensor completely.
if light comes to it and you go into maintenance and you let it detect the media it wll spit it out instead of reading it.
Dim the light around it if ti still persist.
You can go into maintenance and check the sensors for correct working too.

Paco

Ghost Prophet

Flipped the encoder cable over, and the head carriage still stops in the same place and gives the same error. Thinking I'm going to have to do a more thorough investigation of the sensors but I wonder why changing the encoder cable would suddenly cause such a problem. :\

artbot

the encoder strip may be listing at that point on the printer? i assume it's dead straight. did you dial in the encoder sensor position? you are stuck. i feel sorry for what you are going through. blaming a brand new encoder is an option. how much does an encoder sensor cost for that machine? just replaced mine and i don't want to discuss all the katterwonky things a printer can do when that thing starts acting up.

Ghost Prophet

the encoder strip may be listing at that point on the printer? i assume it's dead straight. did you dial in the encoder sensor position? you are stuck. i feel sorry for what you are going through. blaming a brand new encoder is an option. how much does an encoder sensor cost for that machine? just replaced mine and i don't want to discuss all the katterwonky things a printer can do when that thing starts acting up.

Yeah cable is straight and sensor position is good, even cleaned the sensor after having this problem. Can't imagine the sensor being the issue though since it was working on the old encoder. Gonna go put the old one back in now. :doh:

Ghost Prophet

Well it wasn't the encoder cable. Seeing as I don't have any parts laying around to cross check things further than I already have, I believe we'll either have to call a tech out or let the ole girl die.

priddy242

Hi did you ever find out what's going on with your falcon? I have a 46" that is doing the samething the edge sensors trying to read the paper edge but can't.