• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Foam Cor Curling???

ZsVinylInc

Hey everyone I need a little help. I have had issues in the past with mounting vinyl to foam cor and I am not sure where it is going wrong. On the first job I did with the foam cor once I mounted it and then took it outside to deliver by the time I got to their place it had already started to curl up. I think on that one I used 3165 because we were in a hurry and didn't have any other cheaper material on hand at the time. We have another order for full color vinyl on Foam cor coming up that needs to be done and trying to figure out what the issue is. This time I am running 3640. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Big Z.

HaroldDesign

Rather than using a regular paper capped foam core, use Gatorboard or something similar. It has a much stiffer cap that does not curl, and it's still reasonably priced.

ZsVinylInc

I tried selling them on Rigid PVC which in my area is cheaper then Gator Foam but they didn't want to go for it...Is this something that is expected of Foam Cor

Circleville Signs

Vinyl shrinks. And expands. If you put it on something that is not as strong as the vinyl, you will get curling, etc.

Foam Cor is not a great product to apply vinyl to. Print directly onto it, or sub out to someone that has a flat bed. Otherwise, explain to your client why Foam Cor is not a good choice. If they are too stubborn to listen, then give them curled product.

Gary

HaroldDesign

I tried selling them on Rigid PVC which in my area is cheaper then Gator Foam but they didn't want to go for it...Is this something that is expected of Foam Cor
Yes. Regular foam core is going to curl with vinyl mounted to it. It simply isn't rigid enough to prevent vinyl shrinkage from flexing the material.

tanneji

Agreed with all above. The only thing that we have done to combat this (and it sometimes works but is pricier) is to apply an unprinted sheet of vinyl to the back. It combat the back and forth but it has to be the same material, laminated etc to work. Might as well go PVC at this point but it works if weight is an issue (for hanging etc)

Si Allen

Back in the days before coro, we used foamcore for quickie cheapo signs.

Tanneji is correct and we quit using it for the same reason..it did the same thing even if you were using paint.

ZsVinylInc

Thanks everyone...I appreciate the advice....They are insisting on foam cor so maybe I will try and put a piece of just white 3640 on the other side and see how that holds up but I am not going to warranty it at all and tell them that.

gnatt66

foam core gets wavy just sitting there. as soon as you let it stand out in a room, It will curl a little...

encadtech

use ultraboard - it has a foam core but the faces are polystyrene - much more durable - weather proof and you get a better finish

ZsVinylInc

I don't think that either of my two main suppliers carry UltraBoard but I will have to inquire about it thanks for the suggestion.

Malkin

We only use Gaterplast when customers ask for foam board. These are usually trade show signs or similar and need to have a higher quality look. Now if they only asked for foam board because they want to save $, then coroplast is recommended.

ZsVinylInc

Thanks again everyone for your input....I will be showing these responses to my customer so that they can see that it just isn't me....I appreciate all of your time.

Happy Holidays from Big Z

858Graphics

www.858graphics.com
we would use gator, ultra or sintra. We tell our customers we will not produce foamcore larger than 2x3. I hate foamcore!