• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Foil or Roland SP540 for vehicle wraps?

moto1

Ive narrowed my quest for a vehicle/bike graphics printer down to a Roland SP540 metallic printer or the Summa DC40sx.
Question is, does foil (especially gold/silver) have the same ability to stretch with the vinyl like inkjet prints or does it crack under pressure when stretched too far? Or does it have a memory causing the foil to pull back when stretched?

Anyone here using the Suma machine for vehicle or bike graphics with success?

One of the reasons Im looking at a foiling machine is to achieve high impact spot colours which I dont think any inkjet can do, well that Ive seen to date.

Last edited:

4R Graphics

If you are looking to do mainly wraps I would go with the inkjet due to cost of ink speed of print and it can print other stuff as well. I am not very familliar with the foil printers I run a JV3 full solvent as for spot colors or good prints look around if you have your stuff set up right and know what your doing then good quality prints are easy. However I hear the foil/ribbon printers can print on regular cut vinyl for cheap decals depends on what you plan to do the most of.

Not really sure why you are looking at the metallic prints they look cool but unless you have a market for them I think you will find that you dont use them enough to justify buying the printer just to have the option as you may be better off getting a different printer all together maybe not even a roland for speed and quality I would think long and hard about the metallic stuff being the reason for purchasing the printer.

(some metallic stuff can be faked such as printing sections on reflective to give it a metallic look and its cool when lights hit it at night. Just a thought.)