Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Font help....

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by EnergyDesign, May 1, 2007.

1. EnergyDesign

EnergyDesign Active Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I have identified the secondary font as Algerian, but the E AND P and giving me trouble, anyone recognize this font or is it actually strokes by soem designer's brush? This is the absolute only image they have, and I am trying to clean it up...

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. EnergyDesign

Apr 19, 2007
    I have no idea why someone uses a sign blank as a logo element....

3. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    The E and P are Shelley Volante BT

4. SignosaurusRex

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    The secondary font is not any Algerian I've ever seen! You may want to re-check that one.

5. EnergyDesign

Apr 19, 2007
    reccomendation on the secondary? the thin outline, gives me the idea it is algerian...have not really researched this. Trying to figure out how to squeeze 5 lines of giant text and the crappy logo on a 18x24 cor-plast sign

6. SignosaurusRex

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Everything shown, is a base font with a cut-away drop shadow added and done in the same color which is what gives it the effect shown and is whats throwing you off. You're looking for fonts to match what you see and they don't exist as you see them. The secondary font looks to be a Bookman or close to it.

7. EnergyDesign

Apr 19, 2007
    ok...last request...any source to pick up shelly? I googled it, and they are all 29.99 and up...I dont want to pay for it, but will if it is absolutely neccessary...

8. SignosaurusRex

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Got mine in a Clipart and Font package at one of the software stores.

9. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Signosaurus is correct on Shelley Volante. You can get it from MyFonts.com for $24.00.

The other font is your plain old vanilla Times new Roman or Times which has has a relief shadow applied to it.

10. SignosaurusRex

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    I believe you're right on the "Times" there Fred. The corner/curve weight of the horizontal stroke serifs looked a little too heavy and angled rather than curved to me. Gees, how many "Times Roman" variations are there that you know of Fred? seriously, I'm kinda curious, I know its a lot! Thank God we don't have to have them all.

11. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Every major foundry has at least one version. I doubt after all the modification that was done after setting the type that anyone would complain a different version was used.

I personally refuse to use Times unless the client has already specified it.

12. SignosaurusRex

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    "I personally refuse to use Times unless the client has already specified it."

I agree there Fred. I know FontHaus alone, lists 125 variations.