Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Font ID for Cast Iron Sign

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by chester215, Sep 19, 2018.

1. chester215

chester215 Just call me Chester.

Sep 29, 2011
    I literally dug this sign up when grading the driveway to our shop after a recent storm with our Bobcat.
    The company has been here for over 25 Years and no one remembers seeing it.
    It is 1+ in thick cast iron and weighs about 65 pounds.
    There are also very small guide pins on the letters, maybe for reflective letters that were over the raised letters??

Anyway I would like to cut reflective letters for the sign but can't find the font. Some have been close but not for all of the letters.

Thanks for looking. 20180917_144718.jpg

Tags:
  2. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    This is close to Clarendon Bold with a few changes to the letters. The T and L have an angular arm extension instead of the curve

Actually I see some other issues such as the wrong W. You may have to do a rubbing and trace to match

3. tooler82

tooler82 Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Camp Shelby, MS, USA
    Alta Mesa Open Regular

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    If it is like many foundries, there will be drawers of assorted typestyle sizes - but usually 1 or 2 typestyles - a plain block and a bolder one like this.
    When a plaque is needed they take the letters needed out, and nail them to the backboard, then form the green-sand mould from that.
    This has simply taken the impression of the nail heads along with the letters as they were tacked down.
    I'd doubt anything reflective was on it...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Paint the letters white and throw reflective glass beads on the paint before it dries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. chester215

chester215 Just call me Chester.

Sep 29, 2011
    Yup, seems to be the best way to do it.
    Have some reflective beads around here somewhere, now all I have to do is find them.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

7. jriley

jriley Member

Jul 15, 2014
    California
    Here's a crazy idea. Get some tracing paper and some charcoal (or whatever) over the sign. When you're done, clean up the lines, scan it, vectorize it, and send it to your plotter.