• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Loading

tnawards

Hello All,
Hope everone had a great holiday. I have a question about loading the same software (CorelDraw X3) on 2 different computers. When I did not all the same fonts loaded on each computer. Just wondering why and how I can get it to:help:

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Replicator

Although your Corel may come with several fonts, the majority of the font reside

on the computer, not within the software . . .

go to : C:/WINDOWS/Fonts and copy all the fonts to a back up drive.

You can then copy them to : C:/WINDOWS/Fonts on another computer !

tnawards

Thanks for the info Marc, but in this case I believe the font (Speedy Marker) came with X3. I've had this happen with other versions of Corel, just wondering why?

Replicator

Gary,

Have you ever waken up one morning to find that your computer

did a hole bunch of SH*T during the night, that you didn't tell it too do . . .

Just one of those mysteries of LIFE . . . Know what I mean !

signage

Corel come with Bitstream which is a font management program. Do the computers run the same operating system? Do they have the same hardware? Could be any of these things. Earlier versions of windows do not handle as many fonts as newer versions.

tnawards

Brian,
Both machines run same version of XP, the machine with less RAM and smaller hard drive installed more fonts.
I did like Marc suggested and copied from one machine to the other, no big deal, just wondered why it happened.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have two machines on which I synchronize the font directories by copying all of the files in the font directory on each machine to the same CDR. This then yields a disk with the super set of all font files on both machines.

You can use this disk and install all of the fonts on it on each machine. Each machine will complain upon trying to load a font it already has installed but you can sit there and press the continue button for each instance of a duplicate. Or, if you're reasonably clever you can whomp up a bit of code, I used Perl but VB or whatever should work, to inspect the font directory on each machine and compare what's there to the super set on the CDR you made, and create a directory for each machine with just the fonts it's missing from the super set.

tdgraphics

Are the machines on an IP network?

If so, this may be an option for you.

Download the utility FileSync, it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.download.com/3000-2248-7708520.html

Share the folders, C:\windows\fonts on one of the machines (Machine 1).

On machine 2 ,map the C:\windows\fonts file on your remote computer to a drive letter say Z.

Install FileSync on one of the machines (machine 2) and run it up.

Click Select Folders and set Folder A to the fonts folder on your machine running Filesync (c:\windows\fonts) and the set Folder B to the letter you mapped above, Z (Shared fonts folder on machine 1)

Click Add, then click Save List so the folder references are saved.

Click on Pre Scan and this identifies the files that need to be synced. Then take the option to Sync the files.

Once the process is complete, then the fonts on both machines will be the same.

I actually use this application as part of my backup routine, I back up all files each Friday and then use FileSync every day to update the backup, takes about 5 mins each day.

I hope this is of help.