• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Management Question...

gritsonis

Hello everyone, I hope you all have a nice holiday weekend!

I am looking for some guidance with font management. I work in a prepress dept with 1 other person and we seem to have alot of issues with fonts. I'll give you an example. A client sends us an .ai file packaged with linked images and fonts used. I will open the .ai file and get an illustrator prompt like "HelveticaNueu: font not found in system". So I hit cancel, and install the supplied font. My computer shows that the font is already installed, sometimes 3 or 4 instances of said font. I try opening the file again and get the same error.

We are using 2 imacs with whatever current OS they use.

If I try to install a font that is already installed on my personal pc it will ask if I want to overwrite the old one but I guess macs just install the same file over and over causing problems for me. I don't understand it.

Is there some program that I could install on both macs and have some sort of shared font utility so both computers have the same font library? Maybe something that could manage my font installs and reduce the problems I'm having.

Does anyone use a font management system or does anyone ever have the same problem (file opens with missing fonts even though the correct font is already installed on my system).

I apologize for the bad grammar structure of this post, I'm about to leave work and I checked out mentally hours ago. Any help or thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

TammieH

I use Bitstream Font Navigator, I believe it comes with Corel Draw, its the only thing I use from Corel LOL

Its kind of buggy though with the CS4

I think Adobe Bridge is the culprit, it makes the font navigator kick off

Other than that it works nicely :)