• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Management

threeputt

Searched the archives here and see some notes about Corel's Bitstream Navigator and also something called Suitcase. We use Corel, Adobe, and Gerber.

Here's what I'm sort of wondering.

1) We have fonts strewn across disks, HD's, our NAS, and native fonts in their applications.

2) Is there a utility that will give me:
A. The ability to scroll and view them all?
B. Can I put them all in one place, such as on the NAS?
C. An easy way to organize them? ie: script, serif, decorative etc.

Any advice, especially that based on similar needs and experience, is greatly appreciated.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Any fonts native to Gerber will not show up in any other catalog. You can view all installed fonts through the Font Manager (I believe). I use Bitstream and use their groups options to keep my installed fonts organized by style.

VectorDoctor posted a link to wordmark.it a few months back. It's a grand online utility if you're just looking to find a good font for a certain word as it loads all the fonts installed on your HD.

Have you networked your Gerber fonts? I run two systems with Omega 4.0 and we both grab fonts from the same network drive so that we don't get the nasty "That font isn't installed" error when we open it on one another's computers.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Sign Man, you should really look into Bitstream if you have too many fonts. You can easily (drag and drop) install and uninstall fonts to your system so you don't have thousands installed at one time, but you can quickly access them in you need to use them for a job.

Font Frenzy comes in handy if you want to start from a fresh slate. I use it to take "snap shots" of the fonts I have installed, so if I'm having problems with load times, I can wipe away the most recent installs, without having to start from scratch.

threeputt

Any fonts native to Gerber will not show up in any other catalog. You can view all installed fonts through the Font Manager (I believe). I use Bitstream and use their groups options to keep my installed fonts organized by style.

VectorDoctor posted a link to wordmark.it a few months back. It's a grand online utility if you're just looking to find a good font for a certain word as it loads all the fonts installed on your HD.

Have you networked your Gerber fonts? I run two systems with Omega 4.0 and we both grab fonts from the same network drive so that we don't get the nasty "That font isn't installed" error when we open it on one another's computers.

1) Bitstream is strictly a Corel application, right?

2) The wordmark.it sounds interesting. I'll check into that.

3) Regarding Omega no, we havent' done that. We also run two design statons with Omega 4.0. Our engraving dept. up front runs Corel X5 on two more design stations. We interact with them daily.

I'd love to be able to link the two Omega stations somehow. But don't know how?

Right now it's this crazy tapestry where not all design stations can access the same fonts, etc.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
1) Bitstream is strictly a Corel application, right? Nope. It comes with Corel, but reads TTF and Open Type

2) The wordmark.it sounds interesting. I'll check into that. I use it regularly.

3) Regarding Omega no, we havent' done that. We also run two design statons with Omega 4.0. Our engraving dept. up front runs Corel X5 on two more design stations. We interact with them daily. Are they networked? We keep our fonts on an external HD that both PCs are networked to. Let me try and remember which file you need to bring up to make the changes to.

I'd love to be able to link the two Omega stations somehow. But don't know how?

Right now it's this crazy tapestry where not all design stations can access the same fonts, etc.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
To network the fonts:
Program Files>Gerber Scientific Products>Omega 4.00>GspRegEdit

Edit>GspInfo

Under the FontDir, just change the path to where you want them to pull the fonts from. If you use one PC primarily, you can just share that folder and have the other PC grab the fonts from that system. We found that bogged the system down a little, so we copied one systems fonts onto the External HD, and just use that. TTF Converter should automatically install to that folder as well.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
+1 more for Suitcase Fusion.

I really like the font vault that comes with it. It automatically stores the fonts in a special folder for disaster recovery...or switching over to a different computer. With just a few clicks of the mouse, you can literally pack up all your fonts and load them anywhere you want to...even on a new system.

Try it free for 30 days at: http://www.extensis.com

JB

threeputt

To network the fonts:
Program Files>Gerber Scientific Products>Omega 4.00>GspRegEdit

Edit>GspInfo

Under the FontDir, just change the path to where you want them to pull the fonts from. If you use one PC primarily, you can just share that folder and have the other PC grab the fonts from that system. We found that bogged the system down a little, so we copied one systems fonts onto the External HD, and just use that. TTF Converter should automatically install to that folder as well.

Jeff and I are currently discussing your idea. To at least solve on problem, namely when he designs something using different fonts than I have on my design station. Vice versa.

We're definetly hearing the voices here raving about Fusion 3. Sounds super! We will take steps to download the free trial.

Thanks so much, all.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I tried importing SignLab (.vef format) fonts into Suitcase and it seems to be balking at that. It appears that the proprietary font file formats are not supported (Gerber, Flexi, etc...)

JB

threeputt

I tried importing SignLab (.vef format) fonts into Suitcase and it seems to be balking at that. It appears that the proprietary font file formats are not supported (Gerber, Flexi, etc...)

JB

That's bad news for me. Was kind of hoping that the Omega fonts would not be a problem.

I've downloaded the trial version (as someone here suggested) of Suitcase Fusion 3.

Anxious to see how it performs. Looks like it's about $100.00 which would be a heck of a bargain if it works well.