• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font problem in Corel X3

CES020

I've having some issues in Corel that just popped up with some special characters. I'm using Corel to enter braille, using a braille font. The special character I need is Alt.# 039, which is the double quote/apostrophe key.

I've used this for over a year now, no problems. Now, when I enter it hitting the apostrophe key, or using the Alt. #039, it gives me the rectangular box, indicating there is no such font for that combination.

I open up the character map and sure enough, it's Alt. 039 for sure. I've tried to use a different font (some other special character font) and I get the same thing when trying to input anything with that key, or that Alt. keystroke.

If you look at the "Insert Characters" map of it and click "Insert" on that item, it does the same thing, it displays the missing character symbol of a rectangle.

I've opened other graphics packages and when I type in that combination, it works just fine.

I have uninstalled the font completely, downloaded it from the internet from a different source and installed it again, and it does the same thing.

I'm really stumped here on this one. Seems like Corel is not liking that keystroke for some reason, or any combination of ways to emulate that keystroke.

Any ideas?

jiarby

more likely the creator of the font you are using did not create a glyph to represent that particular alt code.

Try it with Arial or Palatino. If they work then I'd say Corel is fine and start looking at your font.

CES020

Thanks, I have tried other fonts, and other software. In Inkscape, it comes through just as it's supposed to. If I use some font like symbols or circuit boards, or anything else made from nothing but special fonts, etc., then I get the same problem. However, all of them work in Inkscape.

I do notice in the "Insert Character" docker that the "Code Page" had something odd selected. Any chance it's pulling off of some default language or alternate keyboard map or something? I've looked through the options pages and I can't locate anything that may indicate that.

CES020

Happens on two different computers, both act the same way. Would anyone be willing to open up a special character font and enter the Alt # 039 code and see if that brings up the correct item, or if it blocks it out on yours too?

CES020

Yes, seems to work with Arial, seems to crap out when it's special characters, like symbols, etc.

Service Sign Co

Drag & drop your character from the Insert Character flyout if it's there. or is it some kind of symbol manager

Last edited:

CES020

It's there, but I can't do that. I'm typing in complicated braille text and it's made of a variety of characters that have to be an exact size so I can engrave them. That's the only character than I can't get to show. It's worked for over a year now, no issues, but now I can't get it to work at all, on 2 computers. It's almost like a caps lock is on, or something simple I'm overlooking.

I've tried dragging and dropping the characters, but we're talking 100's of signs, with complicated patterns of braille letters, so it what normally takes me seconds would now take too long.

I've been working on all the work arounds. For now, I an use Inkscape to create it all and either go from there to the laser, or I can export a batch of it as an eps into Corel and work from there.

It's just something I've done so many times, and yet it no longer works, so I'm just baffled. I'm 3 days into this problem and haven't made any progress on finding the cause. Only thing I can think of is a Windows update that may have happened in the background.

CES020

Here's what it looks like :

Attachments

• brailleissue.jpg
    brailleissue.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 96

CES020

Used the F8 on restart, same problem. Went to a font site, different braille font source (one was from Duxbury people, one from some other source, definitely not the same files), and the same problem exists.