• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Rant !!!!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I guess I should rephrase the kerning issue. The numbers of arial kern awful!!!! I have seen so many 2010 dates with the "1" way out of whack. I am constantly fixing so called designers files as I just cant stomach printing or cutting that awful look.

Part of that is due to defaults. In Illustrator the default kerning is set to "auto" but if you change to optical, it does a better job

Many fonts kern the numbers horribly, even from Adobe. I heard it has to do with visual alignment of numbers if they are used in a chart stacked on top of each other. Tighter kerning on numbers make them harder to read if many numbers are used together

Also, when stacked in a menu for instance, the skinnier 1 falls in line with the rest of the letters and prices don't look ragged right or left

Jillbeans

If forced to choose between Arial or Helvetica I would go with Helvetica.
I hate Arial's slanted ends on Ss and Cs.

So many times I will get "designer" artwork sent to me by clients, and so many times it's Arial. (insert eye roll) Oooh how avant garde! (nudge nudge iSign)
:)

I really do think a lot of people start and end with A, getting overwhelmed by too many fonts. Lots of times I start at Z and go up, or in the middle somewhere so I avoid that practice.
Love....Jill

signmeup

Come on Jill.... fess up. You don't like that capital R either. (I used to think I was the only one.... don't leave me hangin' alone here Jill)

gabagoo

I just received a file from a young sign guy who asked me to print these on the edge. I opened the file and it is these danger signs for equipment and completely done in Arial!!!

Uhhggg, he called to see if I received the file and I said , yes but why on earth did you use Arial? He said it was the first sans serif font to pop up..

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz

I am almost tempted to redo them using helvetica.

signmeup

It's funny how we all have funny little ticks over such insignificant things. Like that gawd awful leg on the Helvetica capital R! (......single eye twitching........)

signmeup

"Adrian you know you'd like that leg if it was wearing fishnets.
(drooling) "

Like a five dollar hooker with a wooden leg.... ack!

daveb

General Know-it-all
:Big LaughWhat's wrong with a few curves??? Adds character, oh, you're talking about fonts here.... sorry the mind wonders:doh:

Malkin

I detest the capital R's and the G's in Arial. They need to have nice curves, or straight lines. The Arial weird combination of curve/straight on those letters is awful.

The angled terminations in C's & S's and such are just awkward.

Give me Helvetica (or Futura or Frutiger or even avant garde) anyday.

:thankyou: