• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Reader???

steveo922

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is such a program in which you can take a font in a picture or sign and put it in a program that can tell you exactly what font it is?

Sometimes I have to match fonts and it becomes quite time consuming.

Thanks in advance!

Terremoto

Not exactly as you are stating it. FontExpert and Imagaro Z will both identify fonts from a scanned printed sample ... but not from a camera pic.

Neither is perfect or free from a learning curve.

I have the latest edition of FontExpert that I bought just last week but I don't seem to see anywhere to have it identify a scanned font. I could use it if it's available somewhere.

Dan

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have the latest edition of FontExpert that I bought just last week but I don't seem to see anywhere to have it identify a scanned font. I could use it if it's available somewhere.

Dan

If you are speaking of the font manager from Proxima Softare named FontExpert 2007, it is a different product and unfortunately causes some name confusion. The FontExpert which I supplied a link for has been around for quite a while and definitely is designed to identify fonts.

steveo922

Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful.

Can you vouch for fontexpert? I'd hate to throw 150 bucks down the drain.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful.

Can you vouch for fontexpert? I'd hate to throw 150 bucks down the drain.

FontExpert has a few shortcomings. It identifies fonts from a supplied database which contains a number of fonts you will not be able to find anywhere because they are from foundries that have gone out of business. On the plus side, you can add your own font libraries into the database. In addition, it will not identify a font if it has been modified by condensing, stretching, slanting etc. To deal with that, I use Photoshop extensively to "unmodify" a print sample before applying it to FontExpert which improves my results to about 75% of what I try to ID. Without that, I doubt that I would be able to ID more than 25% to 30% using only FontExpert.

It has a learning curve and is not for someone at less than a familiar level with the various fonts available in the mainstream commercial world of type.

I find it very useful, but I am a former type dealer, have archives of more than 30,000 commercial fonts, and also the author of the first application that ever identified type from a printed sample.

Within those parameters, yes I can vouch for it. If you're looking for something easy and with no learning ... submit your pics here or at What the Font for identification. If you are or plan to become knowledgeable about type, FontExpert is well worth the investment.

Rodi

Fonts used to be tough to ID, but now it is even tougher. Fonts for nearly a century were tied to the hardware that used them. We had Linotype fonts, Varitype, Berthold and Film-O-Type, and you had to learn about 5,000 fonts and if you didn't have them, well here was something close. Now, jeez, its hard to ID em cause they come out in buckets of high, low and pirated quality and no one wants to spend the money on fonts, clients, designer or printshops. The prevailing attitude is, well, you should just have it, no cost, no nuthin, but I want you to always give me the low-ball price on every project, regardless of how well it is prepared.

iSign

Stevo922,
off topic for a minute, but i noticed you are in Roselle.
I grew up in Hoffman Estates, starting in 1959 the year I was born & the year my parents bought the hous where my mom still lives. My dad took the train from Roselle to work in Chicago. Hitch hiking to take the train to Rock Concerts in the city represents my best memories of Roselle, along with going to the big music store there for my first drum set.

Sorry... just saw a glimpse of memory lane & had to walk it for a minute! :smile:

Steve Boek

Using Imagaro Z with digital photos

I use Imagaro Z all the time in my sign shop to clean identify & replace type in digital pics. I have taken pictures of signs, banners, window lettering, sides of vehicles, and cleaned them up in minutes (and sometimes seconds). The only time I may have a problem is if reflective glare from the sun or shadows cause a poor quality pic. It's like anything though, the program that works the best is the one you know how to use.

Regards,

Steve

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I use Imagaro Z all the time in my sign shop to clean identify & replace type in digital pics. I have taken pictures of signs, banners, window lettering, sides of vehicles, and cleaned them up in minutes (and sometimes seconds). The only time I may have a problem is if reflective glare from the sun or shadows cause a poor quality pic. It's like anything though, the program that works the best is the one you know how to use.

Regards,

Steve

In fairness ... Steve Boek is the US source for Imagaro Z. He not only is adept at using it, he also sells it.