• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fonts Anyone???

kapelskic

I do not know if this is considered an appropriate question to ask here but, here it goes anyways. I have the Master Collection and have been designing logos and such for awhile. I am pretty unimpressed with the standard fonts that are provided with these programs and my computer. Now I know that you can buy fonts online from many different places, but truth be told I can not really afford that at this stage of business. (Just getting started). Does anyone have ideas where to get new fonts possibly for free?? I am not sure but I would like to try to expand my font library a bit. Any Ideas? And please don't say buy them....

Last edited by a moderator:

Replicator

Have your customers pick fonts for their designs from online fonts that you can suggest

and then make them pay for those fonts in with the cost of their work.

That will build your collection with fonts you like . . .

astro8

Go here...
http://www.signfonts.com/

Signfonts.com is a Merchant Member here. I just bought a package of his fonts. You won't find any better fonts for signmaking and for the price.

Problem with using free available stuff or even Adobe's complete Font Folio like we own (for thousands$$$$) is that all your designs look like everyone else.

A few fonts from Signfonts for little dollars can really make all the difference in giving your sign designs that 'edge'.

Added...
I must have 50,000 fonts on hand but there's not much in there that I'm in love with. My package from Signfonts will get a workout, daily...if not hourly.

SignosaurusRex

'Free fonts' are FREE for a reason. If you want fonts that will serve you very well (put food on your table) for a lifetime than pick out a font or two every week and buy them. In a short time you can have collection that is more than you really need and a desirable one at that. While 'Cool' and 'Sexy' fonts are great to have and use, a collection of versatile and timeless typefaces (you might call boring) is also a must. Those will always be money-makers. Regardless of the fonts/typefaces you choose to work with, learning to maximize their use and work with them properly is the real key. Choose your fonts carefully and for a specific reason. A chef does not go to the local World Market and purchase a cornucopia of ingredients and then try to create a meal from what happened to catch his eye at the display case. Purchase what you need for specific successful recipes and then expand from there.

kapelskic

Great post Rex. I have found what you are saying to be very true. Everyone else thanks for the comments and suggestions!!

BobM

Steve's fonts, http://www.signfonts.com/, are the best. Buy the package at $99 and your signs will be much more professional and distinctive. A single font for $19.95 that will set your work apart from the the rest of the cut and stick crowd, well worth the investment.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going on line to buy one now.

signgal

We've gotten to this stage and I've done what Rep suggests but the customer doesn't want you to use "their" font for anyone else *rolls eyes* We are now considering a setup fee for everything which will pay for photos, fonts, etc. When you become more experienced with layouts, you can do them quicker but they become more valuable. Finally, getting that :)

SignManiac

I personally believe that your font choice in any given layout is but one vital part of good design. I have invested a fair sum in fonts over the years, primarily to give me a competitive edge over the competition from a design standpoint. One other added benefit to having a unique collection of fonts in your arsenal is that it helps you prevent the competition from easily copying your work. If they get the chance take a client from you, then let them work harder for it, assuming they're even capable, or make them pay for the font which negates the chance for them to copy your work and do it cheaper to undercut your price.

Even if you only have a limited number of fonts, it's still possible to design nice work. Take for example Helvetica. It's been around forever, it's pretty boring but with the other necessary design skills you need, you can still create a good looking sign when you understand the impact that color, negative and positive space, and compositional relationships all play on a successful design. Having any font, be it a good one or bad one will not guarantee that you will be able to design a good logo or sign.

Here's an exercise I did several years ago that illustrates what I'm talking about. Using "only" Helvetica, I came up with several different layouts using one font alone. It illustrates that many other things come into play when you are working on a design project.

So don't put all your stock in fonts. They are not a magic bullet but rather, one of many tricks you must have in your bag.

Attachments

• Cooperstown.jpg
    Cooperstown.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 55
  • Cooperstown2.jpg
    Cooperstown2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Cooperstown3.jpg
    Cooperstown3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Cooperstown4.jpg
    Cooperstown4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Cooperstown4b.jpg
    Cooperstown4b.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 65

signgal

I personally believe that your font choice in any given layout is but one vital part of good design. I have invested a fair sum in fonts over the years, primarily to give me a competitive edge over the competition from a design standpoint. One other added benefit to having a unique collection of fonts in your arsenal is that it helps you prevent the competition from easily copying your work. If they get the chance take a client from you, then let them work harder for it, assuming they're even capable, or make them pay for the font which negates the chance for them to copy your work and do it cheaper to undercut your price.

Even if you only have a limited number of fonts, it's still possible to design nice work. Take for example Helvetica. It's been around forever, it's pretty boring but with the other necessary design skills you need, you can still create a good looking sign when you understand the impact that color, negative and positive space, and compositional relationships all play on a successful design. Having any font, be it a good one or bad one will not guarantee that you will be able to design a good logo or sign.

Here's an exercise I did several years ago that illustrates what I'm talking about. Using "only" Helvetica, I came up with several different layouts using one font alone. It illustrates that many other things come into play when you are working on a design project.

So don't put all your stock in fonts. They are not a magic bullet but rather, one of many tricks you must have in your bag.

:goodpost::U Rock: only cuz they don't have a GREAT post!

Jillbeans

I remember that exercise, Bob!

Regarding fonts, buy them just as you would any tool for your business.
Love....Jill