Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Fonts.. you want to see how many ?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Jeremiah, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

May 7, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Although our shop has hundreds of examples of actual signs, fonts , artwork etc. There is that customer with a small order that wants to see every possible font on their sign on the computer monitor . I TRY to give them 3 choices. I have a friend who limits small customers to the 3 question limit. That never works for us.

Tags:
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  2. karst41

karst41 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Stone Mountain, GA
    I tell them to go online and find the fonts they want to use.
    They are never going to pay $250 per hr for layout and design.

3. John Miller

John Miller Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Branford, Connecticut
    I had a couple wanting boat lettering. They were still squabbling about what the name would be as we sat down to the computer. I chose one of the names, typed in some lettering and said, "your name could look like this" Then I made a copy and changed the font. At that point the woman said to her husband "if we had more time I'd have him show us all the fonts he has" I turned to her and said" come back when you have more time I'll be happy to show you as many as you want, our design rate is $XXX" without missing a beat, said "I like the first one" It's amazing how people have no respect for your time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Active Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    Sure beats hand lettering a transom while sitting in a dinghy, with the boat going one way while you're going another.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    My standard reply to this is "go to dafont.com and pick something there" I dont have time to swap out fonts 300 times till you see what you like.

6. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    A long time ago I made a printed booklet with visual samples of the most popular fonts we had at the time. We allowed customers to look through that as well as the fonts section in the CorelDRAW manuals. All that did was create more problems than it solved. Most clients have zero expertise in graphic design and typography much less know what works outdoors in distance challenged viewing environments. Some typefaces work great for channel letters while some others totally stink. Most clients don't know that difference much less have any raw design talent to be able to instinctively make a good choice. That's what we, the designers, are supposed to do.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Active Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    Most daFont fonts are licensed for personal use only and are not licensed for commercial use. Best practice is to to pay for the proper licensing, otherwise you risk potential damages (and you are screwing somebody who spent time and thought developing the font).

8. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    Tell your customer to go to Google Fonts. They can type in their name or verbiage and see it in hundreds of fonts instantly. I use it for myself when designing sometimes.

9. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Yes I am aware, but 99% of the time I have something close enough that its fine.

10. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    You have 2 choices, Arial or Helvetica.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    For the ladies that like those cursive fonts for small project I have 10 fonts to choose from I printed on paper. I'm quick to add they can go online to 1001 Fonts and pick one. They almost never do LOL

12. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Do you really charge $250/hr? If so, that's awesome! and at the same time how? We charge between $60-$85 and people usually are shocked.

13. Bert Wondervan

Bert Wondervan Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Germany
    We charge between $ 45- $ 75 and people are satisfied.

14. Todd Jelle

Todd Jelle Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    How do you do that, Work from home?
    While $250 is high , its very well worth that ( PIA fee) my time is valuable. We charge $95.00 & its not enough> we will likely soon be at $125.00

15. Bert Wondervan

Bert Wondervan Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Germany
    How do you do that, Work from warehouse?

16. JetPress

JetPress Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Texas
    I took some time to type a few sheets of what fonts we have available. It's been very helpful with customers who come in with no idea or direction.

17. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    just pick some random options that you like & may cover every "type" of font that you already have: sans/serif, script, & comic sans and just roll with it. we do options all the time, and they rarely end up with more than one or two revisions, but make sure your options are clearly labeled and their final selection is documented... too many options/revisions lead to confusion, and miscommunication leads to losingmoney.

• Agree Agree x 1