Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football helmet decal... HELP

Discussion in 'Labels and Decals' started by csonka39, Dec 22, 2012.

1. csonka39

csonka39 New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    One of my good customers I looking for football helmet decals for his kids youth football team...
    I make all kinds of decals but never for a football helmet

any help would be very help full...

thanks in advance

Tags:
  2. Cyw

Cyw Member

Apr 20, 2011
    We use Convex with a heavy duty lam

3. john1

john1 Guest

Have used calendered vinyl with no issues. I'm serious too.

4. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Convex has different items for different purposes -- worth the check out.

Markus

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    OP only appears to have a cutter so he may want to find someone to out source them through.

6. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    ummmm.... a decal for a football helmit, is a decal ON a football helmet.
    you're overthinking this, bro. get it done and quit sweating a small project.

7. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    He is a used sport equipment reseller not a sign guy so he really has no clue where to start. :rolleyes:

8. Sidelinemgr

Sidelinemgr Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Being a coach here ,I'll tell you, you will need a very heavy vinyl because the this stuff will come off when they hit or block each other.When helmets hit the thin stuff just pills off ,I have tried it my self.

9. csonka39

csonka39 New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I to am a semi=pro coach.. and yes.. some are 20 mil thick.. . and yes I am a sports equipment reseller.. and I also have a very busy decal business..

thanks for all the input i'll look into the convex...

and out sourcing is a good idea as well .. thanks

10. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    In Canada decals on helmets have to be CSA approved so I use Transfer Express......At least this applies to hockey helmets....Not sure about the rules in the US or if they apply to football helmets.....

11. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    That convex will pull your thumbnail off if you get it stuck to it -- lol dont ask hehe -- its designed for that type of stuff :0)

Markus

12. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a customer that redoes them every year for a high school team and I just used regular vinyl. They said they held up great.

13. Square One

Square One Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Blissfield MI.
    Same here, I do the youth football leagues in my town, and each year I replace about 5 out of 100 due to them being damaged. The other thing to remember is that usually these helmets have to go back to the manufacturer for refurbishment each year, and many times they remove the decals that are on the helmets to make sure there are no defects, or cracks under the decal. This may be more of an issue in the coming years with the focus in sports medicine on head injuries and possible changes to the requirements for all helmets to be inspected annually, and mandatory replacement after a determined # of games, or seasons etc.

I am not sure of the cost of Convex, but in the long run it may be cheaper for you and your customer to use regular vinyl for these. In my case I provide these to the youth football program at no cost in return for team sponsorship.

14. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Member

May 13, 2012
    Yes...I know what you are talking about.

I have a set in my office now.

It looks like the letters were printed in reverse on this very thick clear laminate about 1/16" thick.

I scratched the front....it won't scratch off.

You can't feel anything on the underside because of the glue.

Maybe it was printed on the reverse side then glue was applied similar to double sided tape???

They come die cut.

I would like to find out what this is and do it myself also.

I was in the office when they were ordering the labels..I know they were ordered from

http://www.sportdecals.com/Football-Decals_106

DIE-CUT TO SHAPE! NO CUTTING ON YOUR PART! Made of our rugged 20-mil vinyl for easy, peel-and-stick application. Bends smoothly to the shape of your helmet. Decals SHIP WITHIN 48 HOURS. Decal Dimensions are 4 1/8" W X 4" H No Minimum Quantity! Pricing shown is for pairs.

I would just like to figure out the process.

15. Vital Designs

Vital Designs Vital Designs

May 29, 2005
    Dalls, Texas
    I have a couple of seasoned hs football coaches we do helmet decals for every year with convex. Theyswear the hold up better than anything they have ever used.