• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For Firefox Users on Win 10

WildWestDesigns

Just came across this gem of an article today, even though it's a few days old.

I remember the 1st "browser war" where some things that were done back in the 90s that caused MS some headache when caught (ironically the targeted browser in the 1st "Browser War" would later become Firefox).

This also reminds me of that Win 10 upgrade a few yrs ago, where people thought that manually "killing" the update process actually "killed" the update process, which it did not. Same thing with importing user data from one program into another without user specifying permission to do so.

WildWestDesigns

I can't stand Edge, let alone Win 10. W7 way way better.

Win 10 is definitely not an enterprise OS anymore. Although I do actually prefer Win 98 as my fav (then 7 and finally Vista). Not too surprising though with regard to Win 10. The focus is definitely more to the cloud, then it is to the desktop.

bannertime

I never used 8 since it started with that weird tablet version that was really bad. I think my favorite is honestly Windows 10. There are a handful of things inside 10 that make me hate going back to our Window 7 machine. Things that probably don't matter to most people, but that's why it's my opinion and not yours.

WildWestDesigns

I never used 8 since it started with that weird tablet version that was really bad. I think my favorite is honestly Windows 10. There are a handful of things inside 10 that make me hate going back to our Window 7 machine. Things that probably don't matter to most people, but that's why it's my opinion and not yours.

I didn't mind 8. I didn't miss the traditional start button at all (if I could handle Gnome 3 (other things that I didn't like about it, but not really UI (those that don't like GIMP or Inkscape's UI won't like Gnome 3 as both are based on the GTK toolkit(more of a Qt fan myself, but I digress)))), I could handle the tablet version of Win 8). I do still have a copy of 8.1 on bare metal (the last vestige of a still supported Windows on bare metal (the other being my Win 95 laptop that still runs) that still runs the funky tablet UI.

Out of curiosity what are the handful of things that you like about Win 10?

WildWestDesigns

Chromium + windows 10 for me!

I kinda wish MS just shipped straight Chromium versus using that under the hood and adding their own spin to it. I use CEF, so Chromium isn't a terrible base to use. Like with everything it's what they add on top of it.

visual800

I like Opera and still on windows 7. Firefox was awesome back when it came out but then it started having issues. Possibly got a little "greedy' and bloated and wanted to "do" too much.

I even have opera on my ipad because safari just absolutely sucks.

WildWestDesigns

I like Opera and still on windows 7. Firefox was awesome back when it came out but then it started having issues. Possibly got a little "greedy' and bloated and wanted to "do" too much.

Firefox has gotten better. There was a time when it would really bog down due to resource consumption. Have to remember (and it's only going to be even more so as time goes on from now) that browsers have a lot of capability, almost being an OS onto themselves (one of the reasons why I like creating desktop applications using web languages and either webview or CEF depending on what I need), this and portability between platforms and archs.

Bare in mind, Opera is Chromium based, like a lot of other browsers (be hard pressed not to find browser being Chromium based, another reason why I like Firefox, helps keep competition out there).

bannertime

I didn't mind 8. I didn't miss the traditional start button at all (if I could handle Gnome 3 (other things that I didn't like about it, but not really UI (those that don't like GIMP or Inkscape's UI won't like Gnome 3 as both are based on the GTK toolkit(more of a Qt fan myself, but I digress)))), I could handle the tablet version of Win 8). I do still have a copy of 8.1 on bare metal (the last vestige of a still supported Windows on bare metal (the other being my Win 95 laptop that still runs) that still runs the funky tablet UI.

Out of curiosity what are the handful of things that you like about Win 10?

I do enjoy the Gnome 3 type UIs with docks, even the Apple Dock. I wasn't a fan of the Windows blocks.

For Windows 10; being able to switch audio devices in the speaker icon rather than having to go into the settings and change audio devices. Improved windows snapping. Especially for dual monitors. Cleaner UI, Dark Modes.

WildWestDesigns

I do enjoy the Gnome 3 type UIs with docks, even the Apple Dock. I wasn't a fan of the Windows blocks.

One thing that I have always liked with Gnome3 is that it is more JS centric, so it's actually easier for me to create my own extensions for Gnome shell. And use CSS for theming, Qt is a little bit more complex for me to do that as easily.

For Windows 10; being able to switch audio devices in the speaker icon rather than having to go into the settings and change audio devices. Improved windows snapping. Especially for dual monitors. Cleaner UI, Dark Modes.

Oh, I totally get that. I do actually enjoy that as well. Like so many things, I've enjoyed that for a lot longer then what has been available for Mac or Windows. What I saw earlier in the week, OSX is actually starting to look like Deepin and Win has really taken it's cue from KDE(Qt).

Another feature that still has to be paid for in Win is auto window tiling. That really helps with efficiency as well.