• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

for guys who have done boats

fisheye48

Im learning as i go on wrapping my boat. my question is when you get to the front part of the hull where it turns up(see pic) how do you get it to follow the curve of the boat? do it in panels? make it longer? thanks!!!

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 136

luggnut

you have to make a template to get it right.. most use transfer tape and stick it on the side of the boat, then trace the body lines, then pull the transfer tape up and stick to a wall to photograph and scale.

the template you make can be suprising as to which ways and how the graphic needs to curve

WrapperX

When it comes to lettering on a boat wrap, I have heard to do it as a secondary application. Apply your wrap, let the body curve it as it wants without fighting it. Then apply any lettering after that any where and in any angle you want. Kind of a cheat but it seemed to work for us.

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 102

Premier Wraps

When it comes to lettering on a boat wrap, I have heard to do it as a secondary application. Apply your wrap, let the body curve it as it wants without fighting it. Then apply any lettering after that any where and in any angle you want. Kind of a cheat but it seemed to work for us.

I 100% agree with overlays. Do it all the time. And it's not cheating at all. Would rather have an overlay and perfectly lined up text that's in the location you intended, the something that that's way off.

As for the nose. Do the bottom first. Trim it at the rub rail and bring the top piece down. It's gunna jack up your design if you're not careful. So think about that when designing it.

As for templates. I've done wraps on bass boats both ways. Honestly I prefer the big pieces and let me do what I want with it. To make a template and work from that is about the same amount of time. The time it takes to make a template, I've already started wrapping.

.02¢