• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For Patriots of the US of A..............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Recently, getting a flag for our home to honor Memorial Day this year, due to a dear close friend's passing... in the packet was a nice card listing all the days being appropriate for flying our country's flag. I've asked lotsa friends what days or how many days they thought and most thought it to be 4 or 5 days a year it should be waving. However, it turns out everyday is prefect, with proper handling and lighting of the flag, but these days in addition are completely acceptable..... and encouraged.
Here's the list off my packet and thought I'd pass it along for anyone who wants to do it also.
:wavingflag:
Flag Flying Holidays

The U.S. flag may be flown every day, especially on the following:

January 1st
New Year’s Day

3rd Monday in January
Martin Luther King, Jr’s Birthday

January 20th
Inauguration Day

February 12th
Lincoln’s Birthday

3rd Monday in February

President’s Day

February 22nd
Washington’s Birthday

Easter Sunday

2nd Sunday in May
Mother’s Day

April 6th
Army Day

3rd Saturday inI May

Armed Forces Day

Last Monday in May
Memorial Day

May 30th
Memorial Day – Traditional

June 14th
Flag Day

3rd Sunday in June
Father’s Day

July 4th
Independence day

July 27th
National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day

1st Monday in September
Labor Day

September 11th
Patriot day

September 17th
Constitution Day

2nd Monday in October
Columbus Day

November 11th
Veterans day

4th Thursday in November
Thanksgiving Day

December 7th
Pearl Harbor Day

December 25th

Christmas Day

• In addition, I'd like to make mention again a special Thank You to all the veterans past, present and future for your service.

SD&F

I believe that if we could treat our current and past military with the respect they deserve, what A better country the USA would continue to be.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, over a certain size, it must be lit at night or taken down before sunset. It must then be folded properly if you want to give the flag the respect it deserves..... or just roll it up and hope no one cares.

Mine is lit and up 24/7, unless a nasty storm comes along. I intend to get a much larger one for the shop.

Guess when my friend died, it struck me like crazy at his funeral and he had the best military funeral, I've seen in a long time. The tears were running and the emotion were unreal. Right after that, I made sure we had something to honor him at our home and all the other veterans and just to show our patriotism.

They are a few people on this site whom met my friend. He will never be forgotten. :toasting:

ICeMAnAbk

It gets tricky with flying at Half Mast. There are many days on base here that we will fly the flag at Half Mast. 9/11 & Peral Harbor being a few of them. There are other ways of half masting a flag as well, if you're doing the angled off the house, or even a hanging vertical/horizontal flag. Black streamers are used for stationary/hanging flags, while ones that are held at angles on the house or off the business, are dipped to signify the half mast of the flag.

Also, with Half masting a flag, if the gov of your state authorizes it, on a specific day, the state will fly it's flags at half mast to honor a fallen solider specifically. There are websites which keep you up to date on when days like this will happen. Per our commander(s) at times, we will fly at half mast when we have a fallen coming through base here.

There is a ton of regulation type things for flying a flag propperly. Depening on the type you have. There are standard sizes, but not of them are for installation size. There are all weather flags, but it's best to have the standard flag, and all weather (they are two different sizes). One base here, we fly a flag 24/7, 7am the flag goes up fast, 4:30 it coes down slowly. If it's half mast that day, it's put up to the top in the morning, then lowered into position, if being taken down, it's raised to the top, before it's lowered.

Also, There will not be another flag flown higher than, or a larger flag accompanied with the flag of the US of A. If there is a series of poles, The US Flag will be on the highest pole (and the largest). US Flag being flown upside down (blue towards the bottom) is only under dire distress, otherwise it's obviously how disrespectful this is. It's not to be use into garments, window shades, decoration, or any other type of means other then being flown as a flag.

-----------
If no one knew, just to clarify something up. Your local American Legion takes in all tattered and unusable flags to do the ceremonial burning of the flag. It costs nothing, there is usually a way they collect them locally.
-----------

Some interesting facts to know for flag flying/care. We have an old timer off base here that is in his 90s and still raises and loweres his flag every day infront of his house.

Todd-sta

I fly mine every day (4' X 6' I believe).... sorry for the loss of your friend. Veterans are the best.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, it's not a certain size, but a stationary flag..... sorry. :peace!:

HOURS
For a stationary flag displayed on a building, pole or staff, it is customary to fly it from sunrise to sunset. You are only permitted to display your flag at night if it is properly illuminated. This means that you must have a light dedicated to "spotlighting" your flag. A street light or well lit area will not provide enough light. With the right lighting, you can fly your flag 24 hours a day for as many days as you like.

CONDITIONS
If you haven't invested in an all-weather flag, make sure you bring your flag indoors in weather conditions like rain, snow, sleet or hail. Even all-weather flags can be damaged by severe storms, causing them to become torn and tattered. A damaged flag is disrespectful to our nation, and will require repair or replacement.

The Flag Code describes the flag as a living thing, and it should be treated as such. With the proper care, your flag can last for a long time with little or no repair.

POSITION
The flag should always be displayed upright with the union to the top left. Flying the flag with the union down is considered a "breach of etiquette" (Sharpman). However, it can be used as a call for help, similar to SOS, if you are in extreme danger and need assistance.

Throughout the years war protesters have flown the flag upside down to show that the entire country is in distress. It is still a debate whether this should be considered a desecration of the flag or an expression of free speech. It will usually attract negative attention from law enforcement and civilians alike.

Baz

I cannot think of a better way to honor and remember your dear friend Howard. He was quite the character and i think he would be very happy knowing what you did.

Also pretty interesting and cool learning about your flag's display etiquette. :thumb::wavingflag:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here is a link with a lot of information on the flag.

http://usmcfamilies.com/flag.htm
At the funeral, when the soldier came over and explained what each fold meant and the full meaning of this ceremony, I was just taken back at what little I knew of our own flag. I've been reading up on this stuff and it's really quite the feeling I think ALL Americans should experience and learn about. His flag is folded up and displayed in what we call his room with some of the spent casings which also have some deep meanings. This guy was on the tanker along side of the Missouri when the Japanese surrendered in 1945. He had no idea he was helping make history.

I cannot think of a better way to honor and remember your dear friend Howard. He was quite the character and i think he would be very happy knowing what you did.

Also pretty interesting and cool learning about your flag's display etiquette. :thumb::wavingflag:

Thanks Baz......... we also made a "Howard's Garden" over by the parking area...... in his name and honor, but the confounded deer are eating all the plants. Gonna have to shoot their butts with some pellets and drive them away. :rolleyes:

Stealth Ryder

I fly mine daily provided I am in town to ensure it is displayed correctly as well as stored correctly... 20+ years military so I may be a little biased in regards the to our flag...

scuba_steve2699

I had a good military buddy i served with that used to buy flags in bulk and keep them in the trunk of his car. When driving around if he saw a flag in disrepair flying outside of someones house, he would stop and take one of the flags with a note from him and put it on their door. It said something along the lines of a veteran saw the flag and appreciated that they were flying it but noticed it was in bad shape. It had instructions on how to properly dispose of the flag and part of the CFR (code of federal regulations) on how to properly fly a flag and dispose of old ones.

Not sure if he ever pissed anyone off with it but I can tell you when we went by some of those houses later, the flags were updated!

SD&F

That was a great link Gino. I did not know about the symbolism behind each fold.
It really touched me and I am gonna share. Good Bless America

ICeMAnAbk

That was a great link Gino. I did not know about the symbolism behind each fold.
It really touched me and I am gonna share. Good Bless America

There are 13 folds in the flag when it's propperly folded into a diamond with just the Union showing.

First fold is for Life
Second, for the belief of eternal life
Third fold is for the veterans that gave a piece of their life to the military and are now retirees.
Forth, is for God (even though you will see a generic wording for this not to offend people). knowing you play a smaller role in life, and he in time will guide in war & peace.
Fifth is for our country.
Sixth is for our hearts, pledged to America and it's beliefs.
Seventh is for the Military.
Eighth is for The Fallen and their mothers.
Ninth is for Women & their countributions.
Tenth for Fathers.
Eleventh is for Jewish/Hebrew.
Twelth is for Christians.
The Final is In God we Trust. It's supose to also look somewhat like the hats the soliders wore that served with Washington.

There is a very long......... in depth reason for each. George Bush before leaving the presidency had a regulation changed for veterans. It use to be most military funerals (performed by Honor Guards) was for mainly active duty/guard/reserves that died. Even WW2 / Korean vets now whom honorably served are able to recieve volleys and a military burial from their respected service.

skyhigh

I just replaced my 5x8 flag the other day, and gave the tattered one to a friend at the American Legion. I fly ours 24/7

Marlene

I love that our flag means so much to so many. when you hear the stories of a POW making a flag and how much strenght it gave them to make it thru the days, it just reminds me of what it is all about. after 9-11, it our flag flew everywhere as a symbol of unity and it helped make us feel safe again. it is a symbol that just stirs something inside every American.