• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For Sale: Onyx ProductionHouse 7.3-X10 with FIVE active printers & THREE active RIPs

Nishan

Hi Nate,

Is there any reason for your move to Caldera? I am also in a similar situation. We run all our printers on onyx - jeti, latex, Mimaki, aquajet. However our Durst rho 500r was supplied with Caldera, but easy media not included. So instead of spending money on easy media I just continued with onyx.

I would like to give Caldera a go, but not sure of the advantages over onyx. Would appreciate and value your opinion on both these rips.

Regards
Nishan

nate

Hi Nate,

Is there any reason for your move to Caldera? I am also in a similar situation. We run all our printers on onyx - jeti, latex, Mimaki, aquajet. However our Durst rho 500r was supplied with Caldera, but easy media not included. So instead of spending money on easy media I just continued with onyx.

I would like to give Caldera a go, but not sure of the advantages over onyx. Would appreciate and value your opinion on both these rips.

Regards
Nishan

Our biggest reason was scalability. We are able to run our whole shop of 16 printers via one Caldera key.

One key = one yearly maintenance fee.
One key = one contact to add additional features, machines, etc.
One key = consistent color, consistent operator knowledge, consistent workflow.
One key = ease of training

We have the ability to have six users process (and can have many more if we so choose) and print files and eight computers responsible for the processing and driving of two printers each.

You just can't get these features with Onyx. In short we outgrew it.

Nishan

Hi Nate

Thanks for the reply. Other than outgrowing onyx, are there any specific features/better colour - you have seen in Caldera?

Regards
Nishan

nate

Hi Nate

Thanks for the reply. Other than outgrowing onyx, are there any specific features/better colour - you have seen in Caldera?

Regards
Nishan

I think as a whole it's a better product. It's the old you get what you pay for thought process. We've been through four RIPS as we've been in business. Versaworks is free, Wasatch costs $3K and does some thing good. Onyx at $5K does many more things well.

We managed to last on VersaWorks for two Rolands for almost three years.

We lasted only three months or so on Wasatch before bailing for Onyx. We used Onyx for almost two years driving five machines from one install.

Caldera, for our complete configuration was upwards of $25K, but it's able to do more, and allows us to work better. We're been on it almost a year now and would not look back.

Each software (outside of Wasatch if I am perfectly honest) had good points, but as we moved up we found that each step was worth the asking price.