• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For those of us with bucket trucks....

visual800

Up until I actually owned heavy equipment I would have never belived what a PITA it is. We take care of our vehicles and all parts but damn if it aint one thing its another. We are bout to let go of our second truck and I think im just going back to renting. I actually entertained the thought of a manlift, like a JLG, or GENIE. not a towable but a drivable boom. Didnt know if these things were more dependable than truck units

skyhigh

ive owned a few, and have had excellent luck.

What kinds of trucks/problems have you encountered?

visual800

Sky this last truck has a leak in upper tower in bed. I can replace hoses but it would appear the boom has to be lifted off this one to be repaired. $2500 quote. I know things happen but damn its always something.

signage

What make/model?

I've had good luck also! I get the hoses locally for about half of what the manufacturer wants!

401Graphics

Ive got a old 97 verizon ford truck. Only had to replace one hydraulic hose on it, battery, exhaust manifold gasket, and a brake line in the 4 years ive had it now. Gonna need tires this year.

It has the Altec AT200A boom on it. Sometimes i wish i had a knuckle boom, instead of a telescopic.

Only paid $3500 for the truck

biggmann

I agree with them being a PITA!!!! We bought an Elliot L60 about 2 years ago and about a year ago I noticed oil dripping onto the windshield and hood and the repair guy says it is a leaky hose but have to drop the bucket and replace a line. Not covered under any warranty as it should be but it always seems to be something breaking or needing attention.

phototec

What make/model?

I've had good luck also! I get the hoses locally for about half of what the manufacturer wants!

We have a local equipment supply house that will make up any hydraulic hose with the proper fittings, just need remove the damaged hose and give it to them to match, as above for a fraction of the OEM cost.

:smile:

kanini

Our small electrical indoor manlift (Genie) spewed hydraulic fluid all over the shop floor a few weeks ago. Had to change a gasket in the lift cylinder. Other than that we've changed two batteries so far this year - it's always something with the equipment!
How is the checkups on the bucket trucks, expensive? Every year? Here in Europe the annual checks are expensive as whatever and then you get the 10-year checkups every tenth year where you have a certified guy from a company disassemble the whole lift and check all joints for wear - ugh... Not to speak about the insurances. I always rent the outdoor lifts when we need them...

visual800

its a 2005 f550, damn thing is a beast. fist altenator went out and killed both batteries that was 1 grand, then hydraulics leaking small drip and now hydraulic motor is getting noisier. Im going back to renting or looking into a lift at least then I can drop insurance, but Im sure the lifts are just as much a PITA

nikdoobs

We do a ton of service work with our bucket trucks changing bulbs and ballasts. We also do crane rentals to AC companies. These are what justify the big maintenance bills for us.

Mosh

I found if you have a larger (1 ton or more) bucket or boom truck you need to keep them working or they will not pay for themselves. Turns into more work than I care to deal with.