• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Formed plastic letter install

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I have 12" formed plastic letters to mount on a horizontal corrugated metal building (sorry, my phone died that day and I don't have a pic.) Corrugations are spaced 9" apart. Building is a light grey and letters are black.

The install is about a 1.5 hour drive and I really don't want to "litter" the building siding with holes not to mention dealing with the corrugation. There are a total of 29 letters on one line.

Gemini doesn't sell track mounts anymore so what would be my best option for pre-mounting/setting up these letters for a quick and easier install?

Thanks in advance!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Put some acrylic stringers up, glue the letters fast and paint what remains..... the color of the building.

Billct2

I've done them with ACM stringers. Paint the acm to match building, mount the letters with studs & nuts.

JoeRees

I've had good luck with formed plastic on corrugated by ordering the letters with threaded stud mounts on the backside and specifying aluminum studs with adhesive mounting pads. You know, the perforated pads that screw onto the studs. You can't control where the studs will fall on the letters and it would be almost impossible to pre-engineer a layout that would avoid all the possible corrugations in the siding - but in reality it's not a big deal. Here's why - the majority of your studs will fall onto smooth surfaces anyway and you can use 100% silicone to adhere the pads to the siding. Masking tape will hold them in place for the hour or so it'll take the silicone to dry enough so you can remove the tape without the letter moving. I've done this on raw days where the temp was around 40° and the silicone drys fine as long as the surface is dry to begin with - no holes to drill and 10 years later all letters are still intact. For those pads that fall on top of a corrugation you can simply shorten the stud and glue away. Any stud/pad that falls on the side of a corrugation can be snipped in half with sidecutters and still grip well by globbing on a little extra silicone to fill the void. I don't like drilling holes in people's buildings unless there's some reason that the letters need to be removed periodically then replaced in the same locations (like if the building was going to be painted). But really, even if you drill holes for every stud the theory above still applies - you'll have to fart around with any studs that happen to fall on corrugations but it's not that bad - good luck!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I never really had a huge problem putting letters on a corrugated metal wall. I mean, every now and then you'll catch the slope of a rib but I just angle the drill to get the hole open and then straighten the drill out to go in. If a hole is being real picky I just pull the stud out and skip that one... granted there are plenty of others on the letter.