• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Found a Gerber Edge

I found a Gerber Edge for sale locally. The seller says the motherboard was just replaced, the machine prints great and an envision plotter and 16 foils are included. The asking price is $2,500. Is this a fair price? If so what else should I be looking for or considering? I know about the printhead issues, what about software? If it isn't included in this deal what will it cost me to get something that will run the printer?

particleman

That is a good deal even without software, but if he used it he should have the software (Omega). If you get it be sure to get the hardware key (dongle) or the software will be useless.

Jillbeans

Sounds like a steal, provided he has the software/dongle.
You can design in Corel and import into Composer for plotting.
Love....Jill

Tim Aucoin

That's an excellent deal just for the EnVision plotter if it is in good working condition! Agree with particleman... make sure to get the dongle if software is included!

jfiscus

Rap Master
That's a good deal for an Edge system. I've used an Edge I, II and EdgeFX; They get quicker the newer they are - but the Edge I STILL does the best at printing w/o errors in my opinion. (although the FX has a bit higher small text print quality) The EnVision plotter is the best companion plotter for the system also - so you're getting the best of both worlds!

The Gerber software that they should have (and be able to sell you) needs the USB dongle key to function. If they do not have the software/key; check out the new pricing on Omega. Our two Edges here run EVERY day.

It is the first Edge, not the 2 or the FX. Also it is not an envision plotter that is included, it appears to be an older model. If he doesn't have the software available, what should I expect to pay to get software? The biggest thing I am scared of is the printhead going out, from what I have read they are not cheap. Here is a picture of everything:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 136

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It is the first Edge, not the 2 or the FX. Also it is not an envision plotter that is included, it appears to be an older model. If he doesn't have the software available, what should I expect to pay to get software? The biggest thing I am scared of is the printhead going out, from what I have read they are not cheap. Here is a picture of everything:

Actually what you have in your pic is the Edge LE which is the second model ... The Classic being the first. The plotter is not older necessarily, just not as expensive as an Envision. I've owned an Edge LE since 1998 and can only tell you that mine cost me $16K and my Envision plotter $10K. My two seats of Omega cost $3,500 each. I can't tell you the current value but I can tell you that I replaced my original Edge LE a couple of years ago with a factory rebuilt one that came with a 90 day warranty for $4K.

Guessing at current values, I would put the LE at $1500 to $2K and the GS15 plotter at $500 to $800. A copy of Omega 5 is around $3,500 and worth every penny. Frankly, however, I would counsel you that if you're worried about the possible cost of a repair or hung up on equipment costs then you are looking at it all wrong. You should instead be looking at what kind of items you can produce with it at better than average prices and what you should be doing to put yourself in the best position to attain a profitable return on your time and investment.

So let's examine that. I will start by telling you that since getting my Edge in 1998 I have produced about $900K worth of output with it. My original investment, including an Envision 375 plotter, software and supplies was $35K. I have since spent $3,500 for a second seat of Omega, $4K for a replacement printer, about $2K for repairs and sold my original Edge for $750. That's a total of $43,750 for 15 years of use and my setup is in perfect working order. I would guesstimate that my gross profit after materials consumed has been about $750,000, making my original investment in equipment and supplies about 6% if we counted the system and supplies today as having no value at all.

So if you're getting my drift, what I'm trying to say is that your concerns should be with getting up and running and profitable without regard to whether or not you're getting a good deal or not. Concern yourself with how you are going to learn how to get profitable production from a reliable setup as quickly as possible. An Edge system should put $50K to $100K profit into your business every year ... once you have it up and running and have learned the software.

Sign on the wall of a doughnut shop:

As you go through life my son,
Whatever be your goal.
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.

mdleisure

Buying second hand equipment is always a risk but if you can quickly make your investment back anything after that is profit even if its only for a little while.

First question you should be asking is if he has just paid out for the board to be replaced then why is he getting rid of it. If I had had just paid for that then I would make sure I kept it until it had paid me my money back.

If its only local then before parting with any cash then go and do a print test on it. If he has not got it connected then just do a factory test. Just download the manual and it will tell you how to do the test with the hidden button on the keypad, he must have a little bit of vinyl and a roll of foil. If he wants to sell it then a test is a must to check the head.

There are quite a few signs of wear on the test. look especially for lines in the print. Thats a dead part of the head. Also look for fading at the sides of the print.

You are correct in being cautious about the head but then again if you are looking at this as a business as I said before if you get your initial investment back then nothing is lost and you can always sell on again as spares. If it makes you some quick money then look at buying an fx new under a maintained contract for piece of mind.

Although omega is a good piece of software there are alternatives, i use flexi only because i was used to it already on large format.

personally I took a big risk on an edge 2 that I had not seen working. Of course I got it a lot cheaper and I was very lucky. It has only done 2217 minutes printing. thats another thing you can check, The print timer, If I am correct then it will show how many minutes since the board was changed depending on which board, but it will help you bargin im sure,

Matt

Matt

Thank you all for the help! I'm going to look at it today, so we will see what happens. If I do end up making a deal and getting it, are there any special concerns as far as transporting it goes? It is probably a 5 mile trip from there to here.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thank you all for the help! I'm going to look at it today, so we will see what happens. If I do end up making a deal and getting it, are there any special concerns as far as transporting it goes? It is probably a 5 mile trip from there to here.

Yes there are. The Edge needs to have the two metal clamps installed in the printhead area to protect it during transportation. They are difficult to install but very necessary to prevent damage when moving the Edge. See page five of this document.

Just to update y'all... I went and looked at the edge today. The guy bought it in 2002 and has ran it in a sign shop since then. The motherboard was replaced 6 months ago due to a lightning strike, so it only shows 58 minutes. He has never replaced the printhead. He printed a small two color design and also some form of test print that had letters and numbers on several rows of lines. It looked like the vinyl was dirty on the first line because it had little splotches missing in the print, but all other lines printed great. He said he should have the original box at home, he was unsure of the transport clamps. The plotter also seemed to work fine, and he is throwing in approx. 15 foils and a 3 or 4 foot roll of magnetic material. No software is included in the deal. He was asking $2500 but I talked him down to $2000 as long as he finds the printhead clamps. I think it's too good of a deal to pass up, even if the printhead craps out on me I'll be in the whole package around $5000. I guess it will be likely that I will need a printhead considering this one is 11-12 years old.

Billct2

What Pat said.
Isn't the best test to run a full block of cobalt blue to see if there are any pixels out?

Marlene

get the original box! it might not sound like a big deal but a replacement box is very expensive and must have if you need to ship it out for service

Well, I made the deal. The guy had the shipping brackets and boxes, so I went over there today and paid him and boxed it up and brought it home. The final count was 19 foils that were part of the deal (almost all Gerber brand), the Edge, the plotter with a tool kit and blades, 3 material rollers, a 4-5 foot roll of magnetic material and a couple short rolls of vinyl... all for $2000. I feel like I got a good deal, but I wouldn't have had a clue what I was buying without the help of all of you here at Signs101!
Now on to the next problem- setting it up and getting it going. I went to best buy and got a parallel USB adaptor cable since my computer doesn't have the big port for the Gerber cable. I set everything up and plugged it in but I can't get a job sent to the printer. I am using Flexi 8.1 and it gives me an error message when I send the job to the printer.

JR's

Hi sellers,
Not picking on you but I think you should start a new thread.
Titled help me set up my Gerber edge.
I think it would be beneficial to you and the signs 101 community.
JR