Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Framing an outdoor wooden sign?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Chardesign, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Chardesign

Chardesign New Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Charlotte nc
    I am an artist, not a sign maker. But my kids charter school asked me to create an outdoor sign which I did using a sheet of plywood (with a finished side). I painted the heck out of it--primed, multiple layers of paint and then of course handpainted the logo. I used outdoor paint from Sherwin Williams. I finished the edges of the sign with a vinyl J trim. You can stop laughing now:) That was my big mistake. Of course a year later there is water damage. The plywood all along the lower edge of the sign is admitting water and the paint along the lower edge is bubbling. What is the recommended product to finish and seal the edges of an outdoor wood sign? I want to fix it! I am looking at "backhand trim" at my local lumber yard but don't want to make more mistakes. Please send your advice! Thank you in advance.

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    For signs you should use MDO, but it sounds like you use AC with one good side. Which is actually OK if properly prepped. There are lots of ways to seal the edge, exterior glue, paintable chaulk, fiberglass epoxy and then a good primer & paint. The mistake was probably putting the J trim on without embedding it in silicone or chaulk. You just trapped the water in there. I'd trim the edge if there's any rot, is it's just the paint failing, and prime & repaint. If you want to have a nice trim use a plastic molding and seal with chaulk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Whenever I see a plywood sign, whether cleared or painted, I know its going to look different soon, in a negative way. I too learned the hard way a long time ago with plywood, and also one sided mdo, plywood backer. All painted plywood failed. Like Bill mentions MDO is a good product for what you're doing, I have used a lot of it and prime, then caulk edges w/ paintable caulk, topcoat with bulletin enamel, then UV clear, never had to clear, but started 13 years ago.

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    For the most part, there's no exterior grade plywood for first surface structures. Adding coats of prime or paint will not help. Years ago, with oil based paints you could get it to work for 20 or 25 years. I had many signs like that. However, adding J tracks, u channels and other silly edging will only generate areas for water, ice, mold and dirt buildup and fail rather quickly.

5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The only frame that you should use is a fake frame, one that doesn't really frame the edge.

6. Chardesign

Chardesign New Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Charlotte nc
    Thanks so much for all of the advice, I really appreciate it!

7. Chardesign

Chardesign New Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Charlotte nc
    Bill, Can you be more specific about your "plastic molding" recommendation? Like I said in my original post I used vinyl J trim from Lowes. Where would I find plastic molding? Thanks for your time. Lisa

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
  9. Chardesign

Chardesign New Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Charlotte nc