• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Franchise Shop underbidding

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
So a Franchise shop within reach is bidding on a Business Window Frontage job that is 420 sq. ft.
They came in almost half my quote, and I was aggressive. Even using calendered short term vinyl & overlam, I wouldn't try to do it for their price.
Usually when this happens it's a small company or out of their garage type of guy underbidding.
But this is from a National Franchise Sign Company!

This kind of post happens all the time, but
I just want sympathetic people to pat me on the shoulder and say "there, there, those fools are just pricing themselves out of business"
Because I feel somehow an injustice is being done to me.

Thanks.

Bigdawg

Just Me
There, there, those fools are just pricing themselves out of business... **pats Kentucky Wraps on the shoulder in an attempt to comfort him**

The reality is they probably aren't though. Low-wage employees, cheap vinyl (and lam if they are even using it) along with the idea that if they even make a little bit they have made more than if they hadn't bid the job. Which does suck for your area, because when that starts happening it tends to drag the market pricing down too. Hang in there.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It does suck, but the people who underbid put their selves out of business.
If it is a decent sized place like you say, then they probably mis-quoted the project.

It doesn't happen much, but even our salespeople here do it occasionally. And once the quote has been sent we always honor it; even if we are losing money on the project.

StarSign

Have you seen "the other guy's" quote. More times then not you really aren't bidding apples to apples.

My guess is the quote was made in error. Unless they think that particular client will provide a steady revenue stream in the future, in which case they might just be trying to 'get them in the door.'

2B

This happens all the time.
Company A quotes prime rib
Company B quotes ground chuck roast

we quoted a 2 sided pole mounted backlit cabinet.
drove by the location a couple of weeks later and they had a banner mounted to plywood with spotlights shining onto it

bannertime

Know the feeling. Just had to "price match" to quote by a national chain. Their labor was about $500 cheaper than ours. So I knocked off a bit of labor and gave the customer a coupon for $100 off another order of $500 or more.

CanuckSigns

Yeah either they messed up the quote, or they are slow and trying to avoid having to lay people off before they ramp back up again, i've seen it before

mkmie

Lost Soul
Hey it's been a couple of years. Is the [HASHTAG]#Franchise[/HASHTAG] shop still in business?