Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Franchise Shop underbidding

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by Kentucky Wraps, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    So a Franchise shop within reach is bidding on a Business Window Frontage job that is 420 sq. ft.
    They came in almost half my quote, and I was aggressive. Even using calendered short term vinyl & overlam, I wouldn't try to do it for their price.
    Usually when this happens it's a small company or out of their garage type of guy underbidding.
    But this is from a National Franchise Sign Company!

This kind of post happens all the time, but
    I just want sympathetic people to pat me on the shoulder and say "there, there, those fools are just pricing themselves out of business"
    Because I feel somehow an injustice is being done to me.

Thanks.

2. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    There, there, those fools are just pricing themselves out of business... **pats Kentucky Wraps on the shoulder in an attempt to comfort him**

The reality is they probably aren't though. Low-wage employees, cheap vinyl (and lam if they are even using it) along with the idea that if they even make a little bit they have made more than if they hadn't bid the job. Which does suck for your area, because when that starts happening it tends to drag the market pricing down too. Hang in there.

3. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    It does suck, but the people who underbid put their selves out of business.
    If it is a decent sized place like you say, then they probably mis-quoted the project.

It doesn't happen much, but even our salespeople here do it occasionally. And once the quote has been sent we always honor it; even if we are losing money on the project.

4. WrapYourCar

WrapYourCar Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Why would you lose money on the project.. that's suicide.

5. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't know about you, but we honor our quotes. Everyone makes mistakes, our volume GREATLY make sup for a few mistakes.

6. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Have you seen "the other guy's" quote. More times then not you really aren't bidding apples to apples.

7. rhinchaserdesign

rhinchaserdesign New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    No, it's actually good business...

granted, it's better to not make the mistake in the first place

8. rhinchaserdesign

rhinchaserdesign New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    My guess is the quote was made in error. Unless they think that particular client will provide a steady revenue stream in the future, in which case they might just be trying to 'get them in the door.'

9. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    This happens all the time.
    Company A quotes prime rib
    Company B quotes ground chuck roast

we quoted a 2 sided pole mounted backlit cabinet.
    drove by the location a couple of weeks later and they had a banner mounted to plywood with spotlights shining onto it

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Know the feeling. Just had to "price match" to quote by a national chain. Their labor was about $500 cheaper than ours. So I knocked off a bit of labor and gave the customer a coupon for $100 off another order of $500 or more.

11. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Yeah either they messed up the quote, or they are slow and trying to avoid having to lay people off before they ramp back up again, i've seen it before

12. mkmieciak

mkmieciak Lost Soul

Aug 14, 2013
    Illinois
    Hey it's been a couple of years. Is the #Franchise shop still in business?

13. The Yanki & The Brit

The Yanki & The Brit The Yanki & The Brit Signs and Radio Show

Sep 3, 2014
    Texas
    Laugh and move on! There's plenty of fish in the sea of life! Bait your hook and catch another.