• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

freakin' worthless lowlife deadhead

iSign

ok... I'm not talking about my old hippie daze following the grateful dead...

I'm talking about the damn cyan head in my Mimaki JV3

I am ready to order a new printer, possibly today.

Do you guys agree that this looks like a dead head?

badhead3.jpg

I haven't been able to continue paying for a service contract for the last 18 months, because I think it was at the 5 year mark that this is no longer offered, (unless one returns the machine to Mimaki for an inspection - yeah right :rolleyes:)

so I knew that it was only a matter of time before I would be facing a costly equipment repair decision, and quite possibly one that was too costly to consider.

I have been well rewarded for my decision 6-1/2 years ago to become the first sign company on Maui to invest in a large format digital printer... as well as what I consider to have been the best printer available at the time (& at 63" certainly the largest that is here yet, even now that a half a dozen other companies have followed in my footsteps) ..and the printer has paid for itself many times over...

...but while living on an island has it's advantages, it also has disadvantages... including the cost of bringing in a technician. Right before my service contract ended, I paid for a tech and, all things considered, he agreed to alter his standards slightly, to "find" that all 4 print heads were due for replacement... which was done... maybe 2 years ago, and dampers, pumps, maybe capping station, but I'm not sure...

...anyway, a new head would cost me $1500, but the labor is NOT something I have any desire to learn to do, and to get a tech here, plus pay for the labor, would cost OVER $2K... and that's just IF no other parts are needed...

so, with a repair price tag of around $4K, to fix a printer I'd be lucky to be able to see for $4k...

I think it's time to buy that HP latex I've been looking at with the sort of event in mind...

anyone think the head might not be bad? I did a 90 minute soak after I first saw this test draw, and the next test draw was identical...

I think this might link to a larger image:

http://www.signs101.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=4653

ProWraps

looks bad to me. in the island situation you are in, the HP might not be a bad idea since the heads are user replaceable.

HulkSmash

looks bad to me. in the island situation you are in, the HP might not be a bad idea since the heads are user replaceable.

im still over 80 % of inks after 3 weeks.............................
this thing doesn't stop printing either..

iSign

thanks guys...

4 minutes in & I already got 2 of the top tier opinions I wanted to tap into before pulling the trigger... thanks!

trimguy

We have a couple of Roland dealers on Oahu now. That is what steered me to Roland. Ive been happy with my vpi 540!

SqueeGee

I would talk to Robert M(merchant member here). He's very helpful and can sell you a printhead at a very competitive price as well. We replaced a couple and it's not as difficult as Advantage makes it sound.

Even if you decide to buy a new printer, you're going to need do something in the interim. I'd assume you'd also want to fix it anyway in order to get something for it or have it as a spare.

Bly

Those L25500s aren't the answer to every application but could make a lot of sense for you if you can get one at the right price.

I just ordered one the other day... still keeping my Rolands though.

OldPaint

as someone who only has an inkjet old 736 encad(not vinyljet), if i was in the market to get a top of the line, newest technology printer the HP LATEX is the way to go. make sure you have a 220V receptacle where youre gona put it. encad made this same machine years ago, and called it a ENCAD 736 VINYLJET. didnt use latex inks but was good for outdoor with just dye & pigmented ink, but it also had 220V heater to set the ink to the vinyl. i have had stuff last outdoors for up to 3 years from my encad. also i run it in my office in the house and use the same adhesive backed viyl in my HP OFFICEJET K850 which can print up to 13 X 19. and i have the HP set up with CIS ink system. i get 4, 4 oz bottles of ink for $28.00. thats less then 1 single color cart cost me!!!!! and the ink is as durable as the HP. for both printers i spray KRYLON CLEAR as a laminate.

iSign

as someone who only has an inkjet old 736 encad(not vinyljet), if i was in the market to get a top of the line, newest technology printer the HP LATEX is the way to go. make sure you have a 220V receptacle where youre gona put it. ...

you mean TWO 220v receptacles... but yeah... got it covered

Redz Signs Inc.

honestly the parts that you need to replace and the heads are very simple. i have color tech manuals for the installs. if you want to look them over before spending a bunch of money pm me and with your email and ill send em over then you be the judge if you want to take a crack at it.

Typestries

Replacing that head should be easy, actually.

But I can also say that the latex wouldn't disappoint either. You wont miss the solvent one bit, the cleaning, head clogs, the smell. LAtex is a furnace though, and if your AC is already marginally cooling your space, the latex will certainly put you over the edge cooling wise. It's nice in the winter, but obviously in Maui thats not a benefit.

I know of a couple of dealer demo units for 13K with warranty, new heads and full ink sets, but I'm guessing getting one from the East to you would probably negate any savings.

iSign

new head/new spark plug. about the same amount of hassle.
well, I've seen the robotic contraptions you dream up... so, I'm sure it's a cake walk to you... but maybe it's time I learned...

With so much encouragement, I think I will fix it myself, even if I still decide to sell it & go latex...

Thanks all!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
well, I've seen the robotic contraptions you dream up... so, I'm sure it's a cake walk to you... but maybe it's time I learned...

With so much encouragement, I think I will fix it myself, even if I still decide to sell it & go latex...

Thanks all!

Doug, if you do go that route,
put all your latex gear on first, then attempt the head change - just be sure to film it for us and include the sound track (in stereo this time).

wayne k
guam usa

MikePro

aye, swapping out printheads on the JV3 is a breeze.
i might jump on the latex bandwagon soon, as well. doubtful I'll ever get rid of this JV3, after learning the ins/outs of repairing it... easily can keep this tank running forever!