• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Free Designs

Perks

Are any of you are familiar with Main Streets Program? In the attached pdf 2004 document on page 68 it is indicated that professional designs services are store front signage for free..does that mean architects are working pro bono or for free? How can the sign industry protect the trade if the rug is pulled out from under? Is there an impact creatively and economically on sign companys because of this kind of competition? Sign :corndog::corndog:artist produce images differently from architects, would not you agree?

Attachments

• tool-fannie-mae-main-str.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 106

BobM

"ESNDC also uses financial incentives and free design help to persuade building owners to upgrade their facades."

Looks like help with designing facades not signage. Signage will be a part of any facade of course, but it doesn't look like they are offering sign design services.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
To me, I read they offer assistance, loans, money that is allocated for improvements...

I can't find any reference to "free". What is the exact quote?

Rick

"ESNDC also uses financial incentives and free design help to persuade building owners to upgrade their facades."

Looks like help with designing facades not signage. Signage will be a part of any facade of course, but it doesn't look like they are offering sign design services.

Ah, there it is... but look at the trade off,

"In return for financial assistance, property owners agree to let ESNDC review their selection of tenants for the next seven years."

Perks

See attachment, in it has the wording.

Does a facade have to include a sign? Would a facade be stone or brick storefront finish then? Awning or electric box fixture next? Still for people who want to sell signs you still pride yourselves on your artistic talents to conjure something nice brand wise or what ever, yes? Dop your design help you sell your ideas?

Rick

Having worked on a few downtown city improvement projects and historic ones. I have never seen or read about free architectural or sign design. That facade and architectural design is done as part of the design package and then adopted, first by an organization business, then to the city. As businesses or building owners improve their building, space empties or say the association adopts and implements a facade change, that usually comes out of a fund either by the downtown association, or by other funds like the state or the city. In California, we just had the state cut all redevelopment funds.

The only thing I see are design reviews, either historic, or some design review to make sure that sign design is compliant to the redevelopment or historic plan.