• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

fresh paint

dbmophead

I have always waited at least 30 days and if the customer doesnt want to wait that long then the next shop down the road and pay to have it repainted....

Pat Whatley

Lettered my Jeep the day after it was painted, lettered the boat four days after paint. Didn't have any problems at all when I stripped the vinyl a couple of years later.

Cure times will depend on the paint that was used, though.

J

john1

For years i have waited only 24 hours with no problems. Of course these were all baked in a professional booth and all so take that into consideration. I work with body shops alot doing this.

sdimmick

Thanks all!....I didnt do the graphics, my friend didnt know I did them until after the fact, but I told him i would help him put them on...i'll find out how it was painted (professionally or by Joe Schmoe)

AUTO-FX

if it was baked, then 72 hours will be ok.Any continuing outgassing at this point will work it's way through the vinyl.
if it wasnt baked than wait atleast 2 weeks, 30 days is better.You COULD still put them on after a couple a days unbaked and you may or may not have minor outgassing bubbles under your vinyl,
but the real reason to wait is for what happens later. The escaping solvents could ruin the long term adhesion, or the graphic could become permanently embedded in the paint and you wont ever be able to replace it without repainting.
:doh:

Sticker

document everything you do.. I did rebranding for an electric company on about 1000 units. you dont know the repairs, when and how it was painted. The reflective stripes on some were inbedded into the paint and did not remove and was a real be-otch. and was also hard to get more $$ for those instances. i say play it safe, wait 30, same goes for inside mural on dry wall..play it safe, be smart, and have them sign off. ( Ive been burned b4)