Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friction Feed Cutting Gerber Prints

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by drakesis, Oct 31, 2013.

1. drakesis

drakesis Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Any one using a Friction feed cutter to cut their Gerber Edge prints..? Reason asking is my old Graphix 4b has been acting frizty lately messing up jobs. Can't find another sprocket cutter anywhere near me or within my budget!

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I do - registration is hit and miss however, and cant do runs longer than, say, 2-3ft

3. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Do it all the time..... that being said we do not have Omega. We setup the entire job in FlexiSign Pro which automatically adds marks for our Summa S160T cutter. Seems odd I guess.... cutting 15" material with a max print width of 11" on a 63" cutter. Have not really ever tried a grouping or length of more than about 4 feet though.

4. drakesis

drakesis Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Sightline does your cutter use a bombsight or optical sensor....?

Jill, what cutter are you using...?

5. SightLine

The Summa S160T uses an optical scanner to automatically read the registration marks.

6. drakesis

drakesis Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    How accurate is it...? Do you use the 2 point or 4 point registration in Flexi...?

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    an old roland pnc 950

I bombsite on the single reg mark in center. works for what I need

8. SightLine

Very accurate. 2 point, 4 point, etc is a function of the cutter. Flexi supports what a cutter supports for the most part. Our Summa will have a row of registration marks about every inch along the left and right, it detects as many as it thinks it will need but usually will detect every foot an a half or so. It might use 10 points, it might only use 4....

On some other brand cutter. I cannot say. Summa's are very often regarded as some of the most accurate cutters made but they are still not always perfect every time.

9. drakesis

drakesis Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Interesting! I'm going to look into them and others more with the optical feature. I really need something soon to cut my Edge prints. Tired of having waste!

10. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Check craigslist, I've seen a few HS15s recently on it locally here. You're gonna need either a sprocket fed. With an optical sensor plotter, you're gonna have to rethink your entire regular process.

11. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I got a Graphtec because my 4E was getting fritzy. I have a 4E and a 4B for sale for $500 with all the stuff that goes with them including GA 6.2.
    The 4E was working when I stopped using it but has sat for over two years. Maybe you could use them both to repair your 4B. Not sure how much to ship to Canada but I was including shipping. They are both rough but have potential.