• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

From My Experience, Stay Away From Roland's New Truvis Machines.

AKwrapguy

I've spent almost a year trying to decide between the HP 560 and the Roland TrueVis VG. (I'm a Roland user for 8 years and loved it)
Been watching the Latex machines evolve and keeping my finger on the pulse of their users, as well as the TrueVis users.
Having watched tons of videos, comparison ad campaigns by Roland & HP, and hearing users of both...3rd Generation Latex won.
We've been running our HP-L560 Latex printer for 2 weeks now and I think I made the right decision.

A little off the topic, but why the 560 and not the 570? If your going to spring for the new printer why not go for the bulk ink system to help lower your cost?

ProColorGraphics

A little off the topic, but why the 560 and not the 570? If your going to spring for the new printer why not go for the bulk ink system to help lower your cost?
I know when I looked at the 360/370, you had to be going through quite a bit of ink to make up the extra cost they charge you go get the "bulk ink" model.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

The extra $5K wasn't worth the difference in ink savings honestly. I thought about it for sure, but numbers didn't add up.
IF I was burning through that much more ink to make a difference, It'd be better to just buy 2 560's instead of one 570. (or is that wishful thinking?)

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I love my Epson's! The new S80 is amazing! Way better than the HP's I had the previous 4-5 years.

It's up close quality and printing speed do look attractive. Too bad NONE of my clients would even notice the difference on their products and the curing speed is still infinitely slower than the Latex's immediately.
The no curing time scratch resistant and wider range of substrates is what sold me on the HP. Not knocking on the Epson, but it doesn't have those qualities I was looking for.

ProColorGraphics

It's up close quality and printing speed do look attractive. Too bad NONE of my clients would even notice the difference on their products and the curing speed is still infinitely slower than the Latex's immediately.
The no curing time scratch resistant and wider range of substrates is what sold me on the HP. Not knocking on the Epson, but it doesn't have those qualities I was looking for.

Yeah, it definitely depends on what your clientele is!

MichaelAlmand

Has anybody tried wrapping with this thing,. I can't stretch the vinyl without whitening the ink. And no I am not overstretching. I don't think this new ink bites into the vinyl good enough. Tried lots of different profiles and media. Wish i can trade it.

advision

So far my experience with our VG-540 has been mixed, but after ironing out some wrinkles things are pretty smooth now. We are not having issues with cut accuracy (longest cuts we do are about 8-9ft on 3M IJ180), but we did have some issues with crop mark detection at the start. Having the crop mark filter installed on the sensor solved that problem completely. The colors are definitely brighter than our XC-540, and I like the fact that the new ink dries a lot faster than the old ink did. Right now we still have some unresolved issues but production is running smoothly so it's not the end of the world. It should also be noted that due to the low install base in our area our techs are largely unfamiliar with common problems on the machine, so they are generally learning along with us. The saving grace is that they are interested in learning and have been responsive when I report new issues.

Currently unresolved issues:
These are the biggest but I think are design flaws so would need substantial hardware changes to solve.
1. Media lays flat at the start of a print but a few inches in the edges lift up like there's not enough vacuum suction. This causes the head guards to scrape through the print. This requires us to use the media clips on every print even on thin flat media. Uninstalling and reinstalling them after every print is tiresome.The XC-540 didn't have this issue.

2. This ties in with issue 1. I am unable to get satisfactory print quality with the print heads in the high position. Greens get streaky and bidirectional printing gets blurry with fine detail. Requiring us to print everything in the low head height setting.

3. Large amounts of yellow over spray even with low head height. Its all over the pinch rollers and the sheet cutting mechanism. I think this is the main reason for the uneven printing of greens when the head height is raised. It's not visible on the prints though so that's good.

4. When humidity is low and static levels are high I get more interference with the ink than we do with the XC-540. The XC had some but it's much more noticeable with the VG.

Now the smaller issues. None of these affect printing or job efficiency. They're just annoying.
5. Usually over the weekend we get a pump protection error during overnight cleaning. No one's ever been present when it happens we just come in to it in the morning. Stated reasoning is that the cleaning cycle is running too long causing a shut down to protect the pump motor. Roland has not been able to provide a solution for this as of yet.

6. About once a day one or two random ink carts will back out like a hairs width. Enough to trigger the machine to swap to the other cart. Pushing the cart you can't feel it move at all but it must seat it enough to reengage it. We're running dual CMYK so it never causes the printer to pause but it seems like a design flaw. Other people have talked about getting a kink in the bag where the sensor bar sits causing the printer to say the bag is empty, although we have not experienced that yet.

7. SOLVED! Have not been able to get Versaworks Dual to run normally on our Windows 10 machine. Requires Administrator mode. This disables drag-n-drop importing. Inconvenient. ---Finally had some time to mess around with this today. I had to purge the machine of all things Versaworks Dual related (search explorer for "Versaworks Dual" and delete all). Reinstalled and now it seems to be working as intended.

I feel like no matter what there's always going to be some issues with a large complex machine like this, but I do feel like I'm sort of beta testing this one. There were always idiosyncrasies with the XC but it was our first machine so we had nothing to compare against so our perspective was that it was great and ran smooth. The new machine has different ones but I also think there are more of them and some of them effectively disable features. The machine I think was released a bit early. Another year or so in the oven may have prevented some of these problems, like shipping without the crop mark sensor since the cutting feature literally doesn't work without it.

Last edited:

Mainframe

Advision, how have you been getting along with your truevis since this post? Have you ironed out your issues yet? Have things settled down or gotten worse?

GREG SEAGRAVES

The entry level Mutoh and Mimaki printer right now have a top speed of 500 sq ft per hour. Those are their slowest models. The SP series was definitely slower but the VS should be faster than the VG even though it's an older machine.
hi i purchased a new roland sg 540 after a few months it went south fast roland took it back and replaced it with the vg 540 ok
it printed very nice had it for 8 months new it lost the head and now it will not turn on at times very unreliable not to happy with
roland at this time they should take the time to fix the problems they already have and they have a ton of them instead of making new printers they should fix what they have right now

Last edited:

Scott at Roland

hi i purchased a new roland sg 540 after a few months it went south fast roland took it back and replaced it with the vg 540 ok
it printed very nice had it for 8 months new it lost the head and now it will not turn on at times very unreliable not to happy with
roland at this time they should take the time to fix the problems they already have and they have a ton of them instead of making new printers they should fix what they have right now
Hi Greg - can you please private message me your contact information? I would like to forward your issue to our service department to see if we can resolve some of the issues you are having with your machine.

ProPDF

Hi Greg - can you please private message me your contact information? I would like to forward your issue to our service department to see if we can resolve some of the issues you are having with your machine.
They are new to the forum with only 2 post and obviously pissed off. They may not come back here but they put their home address it appears on their profile so try googling it and you will see their business pop up on yelp for example and sure enough there sits a Roland VG in their pics so my guess would be this isn't a false report from a competitor. Here is their business info.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sew-simple-graphics-fresno

Scott at Roland

They are new to the forum with only 2 post and obviously pissed off. They may not come back here but they put their home address it appears on their profile so try googling it and you will see their business pop up on yelp for example and sure enough there sits a Roland VG in their pics so my guess would be this isn't a false report from a competitor. Here is their business info.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sew-simple-graphics-fresno
Thanks for the help. I did find them in my system as well, and contacted my TS guys so they can oversee the issue. Thanks again.