• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

from paint to vinyl

Mr Happy

Am having less and less call for paint, and, I have been using a sub- to cut vinyl, but they are retiring, so ..

have Mac G4 & G5, both use OSX 4.11
have an old cutter with parallel connection, have parallel to USB cable, and Flexi 8 starter. (for the drivers) and CS3.

have Flexi setup with the correct driver, but..
can't get the machine to "see" the plotter, installed Keyspan assistant, it sees the cable but no device. tried a new usb/par cable, still no. can't find anyway to discern an ip location / addtess to set up printer utility for an IP printer.
aka, can't communicate computer & plotter

1. have I just totaly missed a step
2. need to go for a cutter that is USB
3. other.

Thanks in advance,
:unclesam:

Bill Modzel

Check to see if the plotter is showing up in the Mac system profile first.
I run a Graphtec and a GsxPlus off a Keyspan adapter and have for years. I don't use
Flexi however, just Graphtec's Cutting master plug in and Gerber's MacImprint plug in.

What plotter are you trying to use?

Mr Happy

thanks, I did check the profiler / it shows the usb hub and connections, but not the plotter. I can get an older mac with OS9 to connect, and with an old hack, got it to move. but only random and erratic.

the guy that gave it to me was using Flexi and mac os9, I just hate to go through al the hassle of working on OSX and transferring files back and forth.

plus, I set up an old laser writer with this new(er) system, and I am concerned that if I cant get this one working that I would also not be-able to get a new plotter to work as well.

Bill Modzel

You've never said what plotter that you're using. There may be settings on the plotter that you need to change. Gpgl to Hpgl or visa versa. Although you should be getting some response at least.

Also, I was just having issues with my GsxPlus loosing connection so I went on line to get a fresh Keyspan driver. Talk about a black hole. Keyspan has bee bought out and every link from Google ends up a dead end to the new company. After an hour of messing around I did find a live one and so far, no drop outs. How new is your driver?

sarge

Bill that was 1st best guess .. are the drivers current/installed .. if i remember right you will need a driver for the USB to parallel then a driver for the device .. also you may need to assign the device to a lptp port .. might have to configure your own port .. i only have 1 computer with a parallel port and hardly ever use it .. but when i tested my vinyl express plotter it requires a parallel cable so i had to jump through those hoops .. good luck!

Signalaugh

Graphtec

If it is a graphtec, I was told by the support team that any printer installed on the same system will interfere with the graphtec. So if you have an old printer hooked up take you might have to remove the software and the printer.
Good luck

Rodi

Am having less and less call for paint, and, I have been using a sub- to cut vinyl, but they are retiring, so ..

have Mac G4 & G5, both use OSX 4.11
have an old cutter with parallel connection, have parallel to USB cable, and Flexi 8 starter. (for the drivers) and CS3.

have Flexi setup with the correct driver, but..
can't get the machine to "see" the plotter, installed Keyspan assistant, it sees the cable but no device. tried a new usb/par cable, still no. can't find anyway to discern an ip location / addtess to set up printer utility for an IP printer.
aka, can't communicate computer & plotter

1. have I just totaly missed a step
2. need to go for a cutter that is USB
3. other.

Thanks in advance,
:unclesam:
Did you try a Serial to USB? You also may need special serial cable for 2 way communication. Please PM me. K?