• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted glass look

Signmaker1234

I need some tips/advice please! I have never used this type of vinyl before so I have a few questions. Customer wants their logo on a window with a grey colored frosted glass look. I was think oracal 8810? Does this require any specific blade to cut? What type of transfer tape is best for this? And wet or dry application? Is 8810 the best option? Any thing else I should know? Thanks so much in advance!

Signmaker1234

My equipment is a Roland vp-540 and I also have a graphtec ce-5000, if this makes any difference in cutting this vinyl?

unclebun

Oracal 8810 is a sparklier version than their etched glass look 8510. You cut it and weed it and apply it just like any other vinyl. We don't use it wet unless we're covering the whole window with a whole sheet. Wet application on glass just takes too long.

Signmaker1234

Oracal 8810 is a sparklier version than their etched glass look 8510. You cut it and weed it and apply it just like any other vinyl. We don't use it wet unless we're covering the whole window with a whole sheet. Wet application on glass just takes too long.
Thanks! Much Appreciated!

SBlakey

Large format operator
Both machines should have a test cut. I would feed the frosting in and do some test cuts to find the right depth.

ams

I do tons of etched glass vinyl jobs. A normal 45 degree blade is perfect for it. I highly recommend the Oracal 8810 Silver Fine, it's about as close to etched glass as you can get with that product.
However do note that it MUST be applied wet. Use Rapid Tac, spray it on the adhesive side of the vinyl, not the glass.Keep squeegeeing under all liquid is out.
If you used transfer tape over it, get that off shortly after drying.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I do tons of etched glass vinyl jobs. A normal 45 degree blade is perfect for it. I highly recommend the Oracal 8810 Silver Fine, it's about as close to etched glass as you can get with that product.
However do note that it MUST be applied wet. Use Rapid Tac, spray it on the adhesive side of the vinyl, not the glass.Keep squeegeeing under all liquid is out.
If you used transfer tape over it, get that off shortly after drying.

I've found that wet applying is the way to go for any vinyl applied to glass/plexi. Also if you use transfer tape you can spray a bit of alcohol on the transfer tape to help it release.

ams

I've found that wet applying is the way to go for any vinyl applied to glass/plexi. Also if you use transfer tape you can spray a bit of alcohol on the transfer tape to help it release.

Be sure you never wet reflective or rapid air (air egress) films.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Be sure you never wet reflective or rapid air (air egress) films.

Oops, guess I wasn't thinking straight. Yes, I agree, no need to wet reflective or air egress films. Nor vehicle wrap vinyls 3M IJ180

ADuke

You can cut this just like any other vinyl. As far as application, if you read the product installation sheet they recommend wet application. If you are applying something that is small and not covering much of the window a dry application would work. As far as application fluid, I have had better results with a mixture of water and Johnson's baby shampoo ( 1 teaspoon of baby shampoo to 32 oz of water) then rapidtac or soap/water mixture. It doesn't leave a residue under the film when it dries and was recommended to me by 3M Install trainers. Also, if you are applying a large piece, use a Blue-Max Squeegee and wet the surface of the transfer paper to allow it to slide easier when squeegeeing.

http://www.orafol.com/tl_files/cont...tructions/en/Information_PlotterMaterials.pdf

I have personally found this oracal easier to install then 3M dusted crystal and I would recommend using it.

Attachments

• GT122-2.jpg
    GT122-2.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 135

Jerry Brown

I use B free window etching and it work really nice. Only problem is that it will show a crease if you bend it or try and pick it up and put it down again.