• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted Window Film, or another option

Jason Thomas

Hello, I'm looking for material recommendations here.... I have a client looking for a durable frosted window film that will be applied as one piece (no cut graphics) to door glass in an UNHEATED pool house. Here are their specifics: "Very opaque since it's for a bathroom and we need zero visibility through to naked people getting out of the shower. I'd prefer to not have shadows either." I usually use the MACtac Glass Decor 700 for interior glass but I'm worried that it would not be "opaque" enough for this application, though possibly applying the film to both sides of the glass would help. Would this material be durable enough to make it though winters on the exterior side of the glass? Or would we have to scrap the frosted idea and move into a light diffusing film, translucent white or just block the light all together?

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Nekoosa just launched a great line of polymeric etched films. One of them is designed to allow light but no visibility. The one with the most privacy is Sand Matte with 19% light transmission. They have six films with varying degrees of privacy/opacity, but since they aren't a cast film, the cost is dramatically reduced. 60"x100' is $626.15 You can see an overview and some sample images by following this link: https://nekoosa.com/sites/default/files/2023-09/M1783_Nekoosa Glass Finishes 09.08.23 WEB.pdf

JBurton

Signtologist
Sounds like the biggest challenge will be cutting to the edges without leaving any gaps or slivers of uncovered glass. I didn't see if nekoosa is a wet or dry only application, but I'd go for dry, to avoid any liftoff as the edges are trimmed. But at any rate, I'm sure this stuff will be great, their other stuff is, otherwise I'd recommend arlon ever-etch.

Tomtint

We have a PET film made for us . It is a virtual match to 7725-314. , Have it in both 3 mil and 4 mil.. the 4M is super durable. ..It may be a good fit for this application