• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted windows

klingsdesigns

What do you guys recommend for frosted vinyl for privacy in offices. Window size 34in by 5ft. 8 of them. Is there a good quality vinyl i can install wet?

Thanks

klingsdesigns

I have done lots of frosted door lettering but not huge pieces like that.
I havent had good luck with mactac in the past, but i like air release. Might have to check into that.

rjssigns

Another option is to sub it out to a professional window film installer. A good friend of ours does commercial buildings so I refer the work to him. When he needs prints he gets them from us.

The pros will have all the tools and most importantly techniques to do a flawless job. The couple times I've helped him made me realize I don't want to mess with it.

klingsdesigns

I'm assuming that you haven't worked with these vinyls before (no offense intented) so I would search around here for tips and tricks - it takes a little getting used to, and lots of elbow grease and patience.

This is why I am asking for peoples input! ;)

JoySigns

Ooh, I didn't know there was an air release version of this stuff! I need to try it.
Klingsigns - pay attention to what Pat said: this isn't the easiest stuff to work with. Always count on using more than you estimated.

klingsdesigns

Another option is to sub it out to a professional window film installer. A good friend of ours does commercial buildings so I refer the work to him. When he needs prints he gets them from us.

The pros will have all the tools and most importantly techniques to do a flawless job. The couple times I've helped him made me realize I don't want to mess with it.

I have window tinted for about 10 years now. Just never tried to apply that big of piece of vinyl. Frosted anyhow.

3M Dusted Crystal or 3m Frosted Crystal. Its very similar to vinyl.

Solyx also offers less expensive Frost and decorative films. but these films are harder to work if you never lay film. because its a window film. and difficult to cut on a plotter.

Wet installs on glass are supper easy and the best way to go.

John Butto

Arlon makes a cast, silver, etch, better price than Avery and it is better. That size is no problem, just use the wet method.

Baz

I haven't used MacTac's air release frosted vinyl yet but i have done quite a bit of frosted vinyl jobs. I have always prefered MacTac since it is thicker than 3M or Avery and much less expensive. I found the thicker material is easyer to work with on large pieces and if you ever have white creases, they will disapear by putting a heat gun to them.

3M does have allot more sparkle though. I find it best for restaurants and pubs. But for office windows, MacTac looks really nice.

SIGNTIME

we use the oracal and it works fine for us but anything that is considered large we mask and do it dry i don't like to wet app my.02