• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frustrating Customer - LONG!

Locals Find!

I bet writing that email felt good. If she doesn't come back it doesn't sound like its going to cause you to go out of business.

Sometimes you just gotta do that to clients. Make em see the reality.

MikesSigns

I've had customers with color issues make me wanna' scream, too....but I'd call that email response pretty "over the top"...unprofessional...and just way too dang long.

I always get a bad gut feeling on a rush job .... Quality of Work........ Price of Work....... Speed of Work... To achieve all three is differcult. If you get two of them the third one does't normally prevail, unless your giving it away. Then all three usually suck.

GypsyGraphics

i'd be willing to bet your client read the first two or three sentences of your email. i'd have said...

Files provided by wholesale/trade customer's are printed as supplied.
A reprint of your supplied file will produce the exact same results. For a different result, you may choose to supply a color corrected file or incur additional time and fees for file modification and proofing.

your email looks more like... aside from that one thing Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
"

ProWraps

you knew the color was wrong.

you printed in a rush when you knew the color was wrong.

you then insulted the customer in a completely inappropriate email when you knew the color was wrong.

ps, the color was wrong.

HaroldDesign

Hhhmmm... I understand the frustration, but seeing as she hadn't yet requested they be re-printed, I would have waited to have the conversation explaining that the only way to complete the job in time was to print the file as is.

TheSnowman

If you don't care if you fired them or not, then you are fine in my opinion. I had a customer this week that HAD to pick something up this morning, and I told her I had to know that DAY if the artwork was approved. She didn't have email at work, so I had to wait till she got home (and this was for work...figure that email deal out). She said I'd hear by 8:00, and I didn't, it was 11:00 before I heard from her, and I just about missed the deadline because of it.

When I agreed to do the job, it was on her doing her part too. If the customer didn't do her part and said "it doesn't look right", but also didn't get you the correct information, then it's still their fault, no question, as everyone has said. If you were trying to KEEP the customer, then I will be anxious to see what the response to that email was...because no matter how little I understand about something, I wouldn't want to get that.

threeputt

Customer is in the wrong business. She should have had better skills for the game she's in.

The email (as written) was totally not the way to handle it. It's clear you were frustrated, but lecturing the client on color isn't effective.

Could have said: File was printed as sent. Can be re-printed if necessary after color corrections and proofs of color are approved.

Costs will be incurred during this process.

Sorry for your troubles, but some of them you brought on yourself. Better to tell clients that colors can't be assured when being discussed over the telephone in the absence of a color standard. ie: Pantone Matching

iSign

...and here I thought I had the a$$hole contest all sewed up...
you should take these rants to the CAUTION forum and tell us how you really feel...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As said many times here and on other threads similar to this one....... this happens to everyone. The results however, will vary according to how you react or what guide lines you have set up in your business.

In almost every case, we will not be responsible for color shift if we don't have a hard copy from which to work.

All the PMS color books, percentages and other misguided color analysis will not amount to a hill of beans for anyone unless you're both on the same page.

You could tell me it's PMS 286. You see it one way on your screen, the customer another way and your printer prints it out at 288... which is close enough for you, but maybe not for the customer.

If someone is expecting a particular color, they must convey that to you..... somehow without using cute little words like taupie-tan or sky blue.

We just had a client give us his file and when we printed it.... it didn't look anything like his drawing. This chuckle-head gave it to us in a format that we could not do any color correction for him. He said he wanted his background more tan and the green copy a little lighter. So we said..... get your designer to do that and we'll print another small test. He said his designer would charge him extra.... could we do it ?? Nope, we can't alter your files. It's either what you see... or pay your guy. He settled for what we printed in the colors he's gonna learn to like.

Rush turnarounds, dippy color names, irresponsible customers will not dictate to me we did something wrong. If the customer is going to be unrealistic, then they must expect the results to be unrealistic. Main difference is.... we tell people this right up front. We don't expect these people to know this without our telling them we need hard copy and workable files.

Had this guy given us a real file, we could've helped him in 10 minutes. His problem, not mine.

In regards to your e-mail letter. I write that kind all the time. Have been for a long time. In fact, I have a tape recorder and I dictate these things in my spare time while driving somewhere, now. I will read it over and over, make corrections, change wording until I'm perfectly content that I'm getting my point across. Did I insult enough ?? Did I get my 34 points across ?? Is this guy gonna come kick my ass ?? THEN, I put it in a little folder and hit delete.

No one should send crap like that to anyone.... especially customers that are paying customers. She had the color part wrong.... that e-mail was wrong on your end.

Just writing it out and reading over it is enough. Don't hit the 'send' button.

I honestly believe, too many people here are firing customers far too much and the ideas come from this place. I never thought of firing a customer before I started coming here. I always worked things out. There have been some that I walked away from, but I never really burnt a bridge behind me by insulting and talking in a condescending manner to a customer. People here are always bragging about this and the frenzy seems to be getting out of control.

Next time you guys want to fire a customer.... e-mail their information to me and I'll take care of them and send you a thank you afterward.

TheSnowman

Isn't it the same idea as firing an employee? If you don't get along w/ them, and you just need to cut the business relationship...I personally see nothing wrong w/ that. I made myself SICK dealing w/ people the first few years of my business that always tried to take advantage of me, and take forever to pay. I finally decided that I was better of w/o them, and basically broke ties w/ them. I didn't burn a bridge I guess, but I basically sent them somewhere else, and they never came back. Best decision I ever made.

BUT, like I said, I didn't burn a bridge either...so I don't know if that's what you meant by firing someone or not.

Graphics2u

All the PMS color books, percentages and other misguided color analysis will not amount to a hill of beans for anyone unless you're both on the same page.

You could tell me it's PMS 286. You see it one way on your screen, the customer another way and your printer prints it out at 288... which is close enough for you, but maybe not for the customer.
:goodpost:

The whole Pantone thing only works if both of the parties involved are looking at a pantone chart. Doesn't matter what # they give you, there is no way of knowing if they have seen that on a PMS Chart or if they are looking at it on screen or they like the way that prints on their laser office printer. The PMS# itself is not the Standard to go by it's the color on the pantone chart that's identified by that number that is the Standard.

But the email was over the top at least at that point in the situation. She thanked you for getting them done, said she appreciated it, and we "MAY" have to reprint. And it seems as though you may have felt there might be a problem with the color before you did it, based on your saying there was a lot of magenta in the mix. I know your frustration, But we've all done things that we questioned and wondered about before we did it and if it turned out good then Great! But if what we feared happens, we just kick ourself not our customer.

threeputt

If you don't get along w/ them, and you just need to cut the business relationship...I personally see nothing wrong w/ that.

I think Gino has said he's never fired a client "by insulting them or taking a condescending manner".

While I agree that at times we may wish to sever the relationship, I would not do so (knowingly) by insulting them.

TheSnowman

threeputt said:
I think Gino has said he's never fired a client "by insulting them or taking a condescending manner".

While I agree that at times we may wish to sever the relationship, I would not do so (knowingly) by insulting them.

Yes, I agree. Anyone that I have decided not to do business with has basically been me referring them somewhere else. The only one that the customer decided what to do was when he didn't pay, and I told them they'd have to go somewhere else because I wasn't going to do more work until I was paid.