• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fuji Acuity LED 1600 ink starvation

swordguy3222

We just got an LED 1600 a few weeks ago and we seem to keep having the same issue regardless of stock type being used. When printing, either heavy coverage or light, it looks like the printer is starving of ink in some places. Where in some areas it looks like no ink is being printed. Has anyone else had this problem?

colin smyth

We just got an LED 1600 a few weeks ago and we seem to keep having the same issue regardless of stock type being used. When printing, either heavy coverage or light, it looks like the printer is starving of ink in some places. Where in some areas it looks like no ink is being printed. Has anyone else had this problem?
Hi Swordguy. I know this post is a few years old but I am having the same problem with my Acuity LED 1600. Did you get the problem sorted and if so, what was the cause and solution?

AlsEU

Hi Swordguy. I know this post is a few years old but I am having the same problem with my Acuity LED 1600. Did you get the problem sorted and if so, what was the cause and solution?

Which channel shows the problem? Does it happen on all substrates? Does it happen on the paper? How old is the machine? When you did the 'sending adjust' for the last time? Is the negative pressure in the ink system correct?

colin smyth

Hi AlsEU
Brand new machine and already replaced by Fuji but still same issue. Happens mainly on Monomeric vinyl, though to a lesser degree on Paper & PVC (that's all we usually print on).
Sending adjust and all maintenance steps carried out regularly. Vacuum pressure checked weekly.
Really at a loss and I have no confidence whatsoever on printing any more than 2m at a time. It has cost me an absoloute fortune on wasted time and material.

Do you have the same printer and have you had any similar problems?

ProColorGraphics

I have also found, via tip from my tech, that if it is acting up, do (3) sending adjusts back to back. For some reason, that function is like the magic reset button. haha

colin smyth

Hi Pro
thanks for that, might give it a go, though we are getting what looks like ink starvation across the colour range butt really struggles with greys or blues. Happens during 16pass but mainly when we try 10pass, pretty much unusable, even for short term signs/prints, I wouldn't want to hand them to a customer.

Do you still get the problem or it is cured?

Also, for anyone reading this thread that has the Fuji, do you have it in it's own print room or controlled environment?

ProColorGraphics

That was all found during the install. Mine has been working great. I will admit it can be very finicky!! Proper humidity is huge!! I have it in a large room where I work. ~1600 square feet with 12' ceilings. I have humidifiers running non stop, especially during the winter. Static is a killer for these!

10pass isn't a problem for me. Proper profiles are a key too. I did make my own, but still want to go back when I get time to tweak and fine tune them.

colin smyth

The problem that I have is that my workspace os pretty much open plan with total floor area of 4500 sq/ft and 12ft ceilings. Heather is going throughout winter and always when printer is running but I have no way of really controlling the environment. The Tech said optimal Humidity is around 40-45 and mine is between 43-45 but 10pass is just terrible.

Funny you mention profiles, when they initially installed I was told "generic profile will cover all material"!! Then I starred having problems and was asked "why are you using generic profiles, you need ones specific to the material". My problems have been blamed on:
Take Up Roller too tight and too loose
Material not suitable
Feed calibration (even though that give a completely different fault)
RIP not powerful enough (they provided it)
Sending too many jobs through the RIP at 1 time "you cannot print more than 10m continuously" (I actually walked away from him in disgust about that one)
Too Much Static
Too warm
Too Cold

Really don't think they have a clue what is wrong with it. I know a lot of other printers that have UV machines and non of these issues.

ProColorGraphics

The humidity would be affecting it in general, not just 10pass.

That just sounds like a setup issue, whether in the printer or software, I am not 100% sure. I have been told by everyone the the AL RIP it comes with is total crap. I use Caldera with mine.

Do you have any images you can post of the issues?

colin smyth

The humidity would be affecting it in general, not just 10pass.

That just sounds like a setup issue, whether in the printer or software, I am not 100% sure. I have been told by everyone the the AL RIP it comes with is total crap. I use Caldera with mine.

Do you have any images you can post of the issues?
Using Colorgate, which was supplied with the printer. I run Caldera (Version 11) for my other printers and had tried it but the only profile I could get was using about 30-40% more ink than the Colorgate profiles. If you can tell me where I could get some profiles, I would really appreciate it. Fuji are no help and there is nothing on Caldera's Workspace.

Here are some pics of the issue

Attachments

• IMG_8767.jpeg
    IMG_8767.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 360
  • IMG_8769.jpeg
    IMG_8769.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 387
  • IMG_8770.jpeg
    IMG_8770.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 380
  • IMG_8771.jpeg
    IMG_8771.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 353

AlsEU

I have also found, via tip from my tech, that if it is acting up, do (3) sending adjusts back to back. For some reason, that function is like the magic reset button. haha
During the installation sending adjust must be done five times. Each time calculates the flow better.