• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fuji Acuity

Buckeye Jim

My company owns the Fuji Acuity HS, using KI inks. The samples that Fuji provided to us on various substrates look significantly better than what we can produce, but they have been unable or unwilling to tell us if they were produced with the same machine and inks we have.

The best way I can explain it is that Fuji's samples look like they were printed at a 200 line screen, and ours look like they are done at 85. Or newsprint vs a glossy magazine.

I'm wondering if anyone has swapped out KI inks for KO and seen a difference in quality.

Thanks

ellsmako

ink type should not changed dot look

Ink type will not affect dot size period.

Sounds like your original file size, or rip settings are low. Also make sure that not addressable channels are on. I forget for the moment but I remember that if all channels are on image quality suffers. IE. this is a 4 pico to 40 pico liter dot or so but I recall that 8 and 12 are off. for some reason when they are active image quality sucks. I have seen this on a fuji HD machine using onyx rip. I will have to dig up my notes . main difference is the adheason and color pop. the better adheasion one has a much smaller pop.

Buckeye Jim

We are using ColorGate version 6.30

I didn't find the channel area you were referring to. Did you mean droplet levels, as our RIP is set to omit droplet levels 2 and 7?

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

ellsmako

Yeah thats it, I will verify today as to which channels are omitted, the results were dramatically different when on. We use Onyx. It really amazing how little both Fuji and Oce know about their own machines. We have had issues with lines and or tire tracking in dark solids, odd misting migration on some materials, adhesion is also a big problem ( ko inks ) . on roll to roll that dumb slide bar instead of a roller is also a pain.
Can be a very good printer but need way better support.

Signvertise

Got a proposal on my desk for an Acuity Advance, 4 color + W with roll option - installed for $125K. It is a "refurb" demo machine, includes 1 yr warranty. I am meeting with them on Monday. I just got back from looking at the new CET flatbed with the Spectra heads (looking at 6 color + W). The output was VERY slightly lower quality than the prior model) - hard to tell with the naked eye. Production speed on that one is ~480 sfph VS 233sfph on the Fuji. The difference in price is approx $20K.
We currently run 2 HP L25500s. Quality definitely is worth more than speed in our business, although for the vast majority of work we do, either machine's output would be fine. I'd love to be able to print wider banners than ~59.5 inches, so that is a big plus for the Fuji. I am also concerned about reliability and uptime. Anyone have thoughts on either machine or any other wisdom to share?

CS-SignSupply-TT

Signvertise, since you OWN the HPs, have you considered their SCITEX product lineup? Based on the previous comments, I would be hard pressed to pony up $125K for a REFURB Acuity. Since you had a wonderful visit with CET, I am curious as to why you would even consider the Acuity. On the other hand, I completely understand taking a longer and deeper look at HP/SCITEX. By the way, HP has a demo center in Atlanta. I hope these random thoughts on a Saturday evening are helpful.

Signvertise

Thank you for your input! I'm glad to know I'm not the only person thinking about my business on a Saturday evening!

We get into projects that require very high print quality, perfect registration, and white ink (think miniature pieces of artwork printed on a variety of rigid substrates). It isn't a huge part of our business today, as we only have a cost-effective solution for very short runs. It does, however, have the potential to grow to 20-25% of our business if we add the right piece of equipment.

I really liked David Cich at CET, I like their new flatbed for the majority of our current business, but it does not print at a suitable quality due to the relatively large ink droplet size (15 pl) for this specific segment of our business. The Oce/Fuji press will produce the quality required.

Regarding the HP hybrid machines - I really like the quality of the output and the speed in the 6 color mode for most of what we do. It isn't as good when you add in the white ink because you have to give up the lc and lm. For that reason, i wouldn't be likely to ever use white. HP does a great job of building machines that are pretty idiot-proof, which I also like. I believe that a flatbed is a much better fit for our business than a belt-fed hybrid if I have to pick one or the other, which I do!

$130K is the high-end of our budget.

Thanks!

Signvertise

Not following you... I am not aware of a Vutek flatbed. Are you referring to their Rastek (T1000)?

The appeal of the Fuji to me is the quality of the output, the true flatbed, roll option (will take us from a max roll size of 5' to 7', and the speed is decent. It seems to me that I'm down to the new CET with the Spectra heads or the Acuity Advance unless I learn of something new that I'm unaware of.