• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full Bleed Problem

Big Blue

Greetings Everyone, I am new to wide format printing, and the forum, but from what I can see this place is great for rescources, answers, and support info.
We run a Mimaki JV-3 160 sp. I am having problems with a 28" diameter logo that has been applied to a 3/4" thick piece of clear plex. It was printed on 3m trans white vinyl, 2 layers 6 passes. The print has been in the store for a couple months and now the vinyl is starting to peel at the edge of the plex. It was printed as a full bleed, and had to be double stroked so the image would not fade. Any ideas on a different media, or process.... We do not have a laminator, but simply apply a rolled on clear coat.... Again I am a newb, and will take on any criticism for a good answer.... Love the site hope to get some good feedback on my question.

Big Blue

Would a laminator solve my problem? I would think this would have happened before the print left the shop, not two months after the fact.

gabagoo

double strike with a bleed is a problem. Lots of ink. I dont know how long you waited before cutting the graphic but I know with my Mimaki I would have probably waited at least 2 or 3 days and maybe even longer if it were black. The solvent attacks the vinyl and starts shrinking. I suppose a lamination may have stopped the shrinkage, but the questionis "how long to wait before laminating"?

Big Blue

I think this particular job was a print, stick and ship job in one day.... will take this advise...man I am so glad to have found this forum, like I said I am a newb to this print world, and will have many questions to come....thanks for the replies

GB2

Old Member
That could have been anything from improper substrate preparation before installation, reaction to the clearcoat (what was it?), heavy/uncured ink issue, fingerprints and/or handling of the vinyl during installation, shrinking of the vinyl, or countless other factors. There's really no telling if lamination would have solved the issue. If you have to replace it now, just make sure you follow good practices in your new installation, allow for proper cure time, insure clean installation, etc.

WrapperX

Yeah the print, cut, stick and ship is the one thing I try to avoid at all costs...especially when doubling up ink layers. Like what was said in an earlier post - the solvents attack the adhesives and with out proper "out gassing"/dry time you can run into problems like this. Unfortunately you may have to eat it and replace at your cost. Just do it right the next time and you should save face with the customer. Good luck!

Salmoneye

I have tried to leave a white edge around my graphics when possible. I also can't afford a laminator at the moment and the Big Squeegee has saved my bacon on a lot of stuff.

Big Blue

I have tried to leave a white edge around my graphics when possible. I also can't afford a laminator at the moment and the Big Squeegee has saved my bacon on a lot of stuff.

We usually leave a small white outline on things when the customer is OK with it, but this is one of our national customers and they can be picky...but that is fine as long as they keep giving us business.

gabagoo

Just so you know I printed a bunch of black decals early on when I had first taken delivery of our printer. Not really knowing the wait period on a bleed of black, I cut them after 24 hours and they looked OK.

As they sat overnight they started curling up and the edges started rolling up tight like a sardine can. They were all ruined, but a lesson was learned.

this is the best place I have ever found to get help and learn a few new tricks. Good luck:signs101: