• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

full bleeds are curling

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Hey everyone!

I am printing and cutting full bleed 1" dia. circles. my customer says that it's bubbling around the edges. Is this because of the full bleed? If I use a high tac vinyl like Arlon 8000 will this fix the problem or should we just avoid the full bleeds? Thanks,

ry

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Are you printing and cutting them immediately after? Or are you laminating then running through cut afterwards?
If you print and cut right after, best thing to do is pause your printer and let the prints sit for a while before running the cut. Best solution for that I have found.

jfiscus

Rap Master
more info is needed:
what printer?
what material?
what laminate?
what surface are they applied to?

so far, sounds like the wrong material...

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Printing on Kapco laminating with Kapco right after print then cutting right away. Could it be because Kapco is cheap? Being applied to poker chips

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this technically a digital media or are you just using ordinary calendared vinyl ??

We used Kapco years ago and stopped because they never delivered what we asked for. They were always substituting things and never letting us know. The other problem is.... almost anything over 10 yards was spliced and that hurt in reflectives and large size rolls. They're excuse or remedy was to give you an extra two yards and that was supposed to fix the problem.

I truly think you're using inferior products.

petepaz

i am not familar with kapco or krapco(haha) but i have noticed printing with the rolands if i have a bleed it's best to let it sit over night or at least a few hours before cutting also don't weed the vinyl both things help with the curling

2B

Never heard of that vinyl before, we do have some TOTAL CHEAP CR@P we use for the tight wad/weekend signs that curls on of full bleeds.

Suggestions;

get better vinyl is you are going to wanting any sort of life span.

print, dry, laminate, cut if you are going to stay with this brand

petesign

Get better vinyl. Let it dry 24 hours and then laminate with good laminate. then cut. If you use cast vinyl and crappy calendared laminate, its going to curl. If you use cast laminate and cheap vinyl, its going to curl.

How long do these need to last? You might be able to get away with something like IJ-35 and a decent calendared laminate. I really like R-Tape's laminate, its fairly inexpensive (about $200 for a 54"x50 yd roll) and has done just about everything I have asked it to do within reason.

Spend the extra nickel and charge another quarter.

rjssigns

Here's the problem: Printing on Kapco laminating with Kapco right after print then cutting right away.

Can't print then lam right away. Period.

We print on Kapco, and with full coverage full bleed it will contract slightly while drying. Nature of the beast.

boxerbay

please buy decent media.

you need to let it sit 24hours before laminating. also on such a small piece use a calendared vinyl. all the cheap stuff will shrink back and leave adhesive residue ring around the edge. it is a small piece that will be looked at closely. it is not some large sign out in the yard. the small up close stuff people will notice any little problem and come back to complain.