• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full Coverage on Storefront Windows A No-No?

jmmccann

A customer wants a quote for a digital print installed across two window sections on their storefront. The official word from Orafol Canada is that it's not a good idea given that glass expands with heat and could crack. They recommend a 1-inch gap between aluminum window columns. This is in Eastern ontario Canada. Thoughts?

ams

I've spoken to Oracal about it, it's a 1/4" - 1/2" gap on all sides, it really only applies to solid black background or dark colors. If you go with a white, yellow, orange, etc it should be fine. I cracked two windows with black background but didn't with a light blue.

Chasez

If its an exterior install it shouldn't crack the glass. The glass won't absorb enough heat from an exterior install to crack the single pane of glass it's installed on (if installed on the interior of a sealed unit that is a different story). We install straight 2 mil gloss black on exterior windows (exterior application) all the time.... not one single issue.

Chaz

ams

If its an exterior install it shouldn't crack the glass. The glass won't absorb enough heat from an exterior install to crack the single pane of glass it's installed on (if installed on the interior of a sealed unit that is a different story). We install straight 2 mil gloss black on exterior windows (exterior application) all the time.... not one single issue.

Chaz

It also depends on your location, if you experience only one type of weather and not the other, it wouldn't change, but if you had extreme differences such as 98 degrees and 20 degrees through the seasons, it can crack it.

Chasez

It also depends on your location, if you experience only one type of weather and not the other, it wouldn't change, but if you had extreme differences such as 98 degrees and 20 degrees through the seasons, it can crack it.

We've never had that and we're in western canada and get some intense sun when it's still below zero which will make the glass expand and contract at different rates and haven't had any issues. If you put black on an interior application for sure it would crack.

Chaz