• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full coverage vinyl on west facing windows - bad idea?

gnubler

I have a customer asking for full coverage vinyl on a bank of four west facing windows. Windows measure 52x30" each if it matters. They get hit with sun in the afternoon, I've read elsewhere on the forum of glass cracking due to black vinyl causing heat to build up. The design they want is a solid dark navy blue background with white wording. There's currently cut vinyl lettering on the windows that become too hard to read anytime sun hits the windows and casts shadows on the light color shades inside. Am I okay to use a 70/30 perf for this or is cracked glass a valid concern?

gnubler

Here's a thread from 2012 with a similar scenario (Gino, you're in there) and it's the usual mixed bag of replies...either the combination of vinyl & tint caused the crack vs the vinyl had nothing to do with it.

Another thread with a few horror stories of glass cracking after black vinyl was installed.

This is for a tenant in a commercial building that I believe was built in 2009, so I presume that's how old the windows are too. They have a mirror tint and the tenant installed light color window coverings inside as shown in the image.
Having the customer sign a waiver saying I'm not liable for cracked glass is going to get complicated, running through the property manager, then property owner...I don't want to deal with it for such a small job.
Would it be better to steer them toward using perf with a white background and dark blue lettering rather than the reverse?

20230615_145621.jpg

Johnny Best

I would stay away from black or dark vinyl on windows facing hot sun.
Have printed on mesh material and made shades that pulled down when sun became bright With no problem to glass.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Most of my customers are using 80/20 perf to block 80% of the sun and do it with light graphics which don’t heat up as much.
Maybe try reflective?
Bruce

victor bogdanov

I did some blackout windows/doors about a year ago that face the sun, I read those same threads and told the customer windows could break/crack. They accepted the risk and I did the job, black vinyl on the inside of double pane glass. Gets extremely hot in the sun but hasn't cracked/broken

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
As someone who sells a lot of window film, I can tell you that about once a year I hear about glass cracking. 90% of the time it is on older dual-pane or single-pane windows. A few of my customers have a clause they point out their customers saying that cracking is pretty rare but if it happens, they are not liable. The good rule of thumb is to leave 20% of the window untouched and that's supposedly enough to prevent cracking...but it always looks a little goofy if you ask me. I'll also add that the majority of the window cracks I hear about are more in the winter than the summer.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I have a customer asking for full coverage vinyl on a bank of four west facing windows. Windows measure 52x30" each if it matters. They get hit with sun in the afternoon, I've read elsewhere on the forum of glass cracking due to black vinyl causing heat to build up. The design they want is a solid dark navy blue background with white wording. There's currently cut vinyl lettering on the windows that become too hard to read anytime sun hits the windows and casts shadows on the light color shades inside. Am I okay to use a 70/30 perf for this or is cracked glass a valid concern?
Just a thought, but what if you did something like this to give them their color choices but reduce the coverage significantly

Attachments

• Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 100