• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full page ad for Computerized Cutters, Inc. in Signs of the Times

TimToad

I'm curious how others react to the ad by Computerized Cutters, Inc. for their channel letter bending machine and the fairly insulting description of the "human" worker they are comparing their machine to.

Aside from the derogatory stereotypes being used, their overt use of the Made in America message really kills me.

The gist of the ad is that we humans are lazy, overpaid, inconsistent, cost too much and expect to be paid for overtime, benefits, etc. Its also a negative that we have to eat from time to time, talk ( I guess only discussions about the next order are not frowned upon ), smoke ( even though less than 20% still smoke ), are disloyal and our quality is so bad we can't produce two of the same thing without flaws.

I can't begin to imagine their views on those working in the industry who might still belong to the sheet metal workers union.

neato

I wouldn't let it offend you. Seems like they make a good case for the product they sell :)

TimToad

I'm only offended by its by its obvious lack of respect for the "craftsmen" who have devoted their lives to this trade. I've known many a sheet metal worker in the trade who do amazing work and are not viewed by their employers as the enemy.

I wonder how the type of businessperson who would buy this machine based on the appeal of the ad views sign hangers, one of the integral pieces of the sign industry that is NOT easily automated out of existence. A necessary evil?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In a perfect world, you'd probably have a legit gripe, but we don't.... anyway, not me.

I didn't read the article, but just about every advertisement these days is putting someone down, somewhere. Whether it was written by Americans or some foreign company won't mean anything, either. Sensationalism and emotion is what drives the market place these days and unless you rile up some feathers, you're probably not putting a good campaign together.

It would take a lot more than that, to get this guy worked up.

People are mean and today's crowd is no different. Look around the site here. All kinds of personalities make this place up. After that, you have content, then next is the experience or knowledge. People don't care two hoots about yours or anyone elses abilities [or feelings], just the cheaper faster way to turn something around.

Besides, there's a whole lot more to get upset about than that..... really. :wink:

sardocs

I haven't read the ad/article either as my subscription to Signs of the Times ran out back in '83, but if they are putting down the skills and talents of the American workingman why would they then put "Made in USA" on there?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I just saw the ad,
A stapled letter machine can't replace a craftsman... though it can replace a guy who makes cheap, stapled letters...

TimToad

attachment.php

I suppose posting the actual ad should have been my first move. I have no beef with a company's right to advertise any way they please, but as the welder, installer, designer or graphics person at a shop and opening the current Signs of the Times during my lunch break, I'd have a hard time seeing this ad the day after our employers had the new machine delivered and installed at the shop. I'd start wondering if I was next to be automated out of a job.

Don't get me wrong on production improving technology or automation of the worst aspects of our labors. I'm not some Luddite, except in my belief that the worst, most dangerous, hazardous to one's health jobs should be automated to eliminate the risk to workers.

Attachments

• Computerized Cutterss ad.jpg
    Computerized Cutterss ad.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 194

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Flashback 32 years ago to ads for the Gerber Signmaker...

Exactly.

That's one of the things I used to tell everyone. All of my lower case 'e's will look identical. All my 'everything' will be perfectly executed. If someone is having a bad day, it won't reflect on your sign. Like everything else, it's a tool and if you don't want it, fine, but in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, this can do wonders for them.

Years ago, we had 7 hand painters knocking out shocard, signs, trucks and whatever was needed. After the Gerber came along, my backlog went from many months out to weeks out, cause it was that frickin' good. I had to go find more work or get rid of people.

Not to forget, this machinery has helped put good people out of business and allowed hacks into this industry as the talent is all but gone. It's the push of a button and not only is your stuff fabricated without flaws, but it's done at a speed..... humans can't do.... and like they said, I've always said, they don't go on vacation, take sick leave or talk back. Sure, they hafta be fine tuned here and there, but not to what employees need.

Nope, I don't find it offensive at all. Besides, it's just words and unless you buy into it, it can't hurt you....... but it is mostly correct.

TimToad

Exactly.

"Besides, it's just words and unless you buy into it, it can't hurt you....... but it is mostly correct.

That's two of you that have bought into the stereotype promulgated in the ad. Maybe the ad's creators weren't so dumb after all.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The ad is for the owner of a shop, the guy who can fork over $55k, not the guy who would get offended by it....

gets the point across, i'd call it a success in advertising dollars...

TimToad

The ad is for the owner of a shop, the guy who can fork over $55k, not the guy who would get offended by it....

gets the point across, i'd call it a success in advertising dollars...

What point is that? That the worker on the floor is the antithesis to profitability? Or that any stereotype deemed worthy by a manufacturer's marketing director is worth trying to exploit if it sells a few extra channel letter benders?

That things like worker benefits, decent wages, the human element in efficiency and craftsmanship or the concept of teamwork on the workfloor are not conducive to profitability?

I guess to extend it out a bit, if I was one of the craftspeople building these things and saw the way my superiors were stereotyping other workers, I'd be wondering how they feel about the myself and my co-workers?

The bottom line for me is, employees are to be viewed as partners in any company's success and even with all the machines and automation in the world, the signs still have to be designed, assembled, installed and serviced by real humans. This company could easily take the high road and tout their machines efficiency, quality and durability and leave the insults and stereotypes out of the equation.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The bottom line for me is, employees are to be viewed as partners in any company's success

are you an employee or an employer?

if the answer is an employee, then I understand your display of angst.

if it's employer, then kumbaya, pass the peace pipe, one love and all that......

I own a business to make money, if this glorified electric can opener can do it, and not cost me as much as employee's, guess the ad works for me...

TimToad

are you an employee or an employer?

if the answer is an employee, then I understand your display of angst.

if it's employer, then kumbaya, pass the peace pipe, one love and all that......

I own a business to make money, if this glorified electric can opener can do it, and not cost me as much as employee's, guess the ad works for me...

I own my company, don't even do this type of work, but if I did, I'd still want to make an honest and reasonable profit without waking up every morning looking at my employees like they are the enemy and an impediment to my profits.

I am not a signmaker just to make money, I'm an artist and craftsperson first. The fact that I can do a creatively fulfilling vocation AND make good money at it is a bonus. If it was just money I was after, I could have gotten into HVAC, or another much better paying trade.

If caring about how I as an employer might be perceived by my employees makes me some weak kneed liberal in your eyes, then so be it. I'll stack my lelft-leaning, socially aware profit MARGIN over most crass, profit first companies in a heartbeat.

I sleep well at night with my values and ethics firmly in place.

Well, its been a long day wrapping a car and I'm kind of tired. Yes, I work on weekends and don't expect my employee to do so, because I prefer he be fresh and well rested come Monday morning.

Billct2

Wrapping a car with vinyl from a printer instead of spending a week airbrushing, hand painting and clear coating?

Rick

One thing you have to remember Tim, if you have read enough posts
on what kind of person they should hire, 9 times out of 10, they believe
training someone right out of school or college is better than hiring a
trained craftsman.

Most here are quickie sticky shops... they don't need one and use computerized
equipment to get the job done.

We have a few talented craftsman here, they're probably value craftsmanship
but know employees/craftsman can be flakey too.

Most are self taught and may not know a craftsmen even if one slapped them
in the face... also. kinda hard for a self taught person to train a craftsperson
when they themselves are not.

If most of my clients thought their employees were craftsman and artisans
I would be out if a job. Too many times I hear employers complain about
their employees or there are no hard workers out there, or their attitude
or work ethic or all; the taxes and benefits cost... it's a common compliant.

I get what you are saying. But never in the history of sign making has a
stapled bendy letter ever become a craft. If you look at the bulk of your
(mine and others) work: is all of it crafty or sticky/digital print lettering?
I can't stand generalizations and this ad is the epitome of it. But in the back
of my mind, I'm counting on sign shops to have that view so my services
have a place in their business. I also want to work with people who appreciate
my craftsmanship and expertise but I'm sure those same client complain I cost
too much, want to find an easier way.. blah blah blah....

When I think of craft places I think of Dillon Works, Storyland Studio, Jon Richards Co
David Smith: and they all use computers and output devices to make their work.
The bulk of most shops work is basic advertising by the pound, made for people who
sabotage the process and devalue our craft skills (I knowaaaa, it's a generalization)

The ad is lame, but it strikes a cord for more sign shop owners than it offends. I suggest
you find a way to one of these shops and get inspired than getting ticked at stuff like this.

Last edited:

Rick

I just wanted to add...

I never watch TV but found the show "The Profit" very enlightening.
This guy values employees and recognizes they are key to success
and usually gets more insight from the employees than the owners.

I think most sign shops would fare no better than this guy.
http://www.cnbc.com/live-tv/the-profit/full-episode/asl-sign-sales-service/366152771597

I'm sure he would think automating certain tasks and cheapie bendy
letters would be a good idea and have a real craftsman to do more
intense/hand made work.

What craft is there here, I can grab any clown and get him/her to
measure/mark/notch/bend... Really, that's all their is to bendy stapled letters.
Same thing with attaching faces, backs, rivet, staple, glue, screw, slapping
LED's in... it's monotonous grunt work that takes little skill... I know guys
here who make 10-12.50 an hour doing it... hardly craftsman wages. if you have
enough work to justify a machine, automate grunt work. Leave the pan,
specialized metals, sharp edged letters, neon and custom stuff to craftsman...
work a machine can't do... (even though you really are still using a machine)

Too many times owners are the largest obstacle to their success by having
narrow views of their own business. They blame employees and/or machines and
the cost of having them instead of taking responsibility for poor hiring and purchase
decisions. Can't find a good employee? Downsize... your employees suck? Downsize
OR - hire skilled labor invested in their career... if they are invested in their career,
most likely they will invest in your company... that's a hard thing to find.

I can look at the ad your way, or, a sign shop owner does not know how to hire and
is an idiot for not getting the machine and canning their bad hire.