• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full thumb drive????

signguy 55

I back up files on a thumb drive, it's worked out great for the last few years, especially considering how cheap they are. I currently have a 2 GB drive that is showing barely using the space, but Flexi won't let me save anything else to it. I googled some stuff about how Windows does a FAT file that uses up a lot of space. Can someone explain in layman terms what is happening, why I can't use but a fraction of space available on the thumb drive? Thanks!!

Lunatic Taskbar

was this thumbdrive bought from China? I recall reading that through ebay a number of thumbdrives/usb drives etc being sold from China/hongkong was miss represented. so a 2gb may only be 500mb or 100mb (as an example).

Failing that can you try it in another machine and copy something to it. if that does indeed work. reboot the offending machine. and try again.

Failing all these solutions I would copy the entire contents to the hdd and re-format the thumbdrive then copy them all back over.

You may also consider checking the drive for viruses and malware.

Ian

HaroldDesign

I used to transfer files a while back before getting everything networked, and had to format it once in a while. When deleting files off of it, it wasn't really getting rid of it, just basically making it invisible.

joeshaul

The way Files and FAT works is similar to a bookcase (files) and a library (FAT). When a book is taken out (file deleted), it leaves a space on the bookcase. In that open space you may be able to fit one book, or two books in its place depending on how big it is. Depending on how many spaces/gaps you have, you may be able to slide/cram all the books to a side to generate more space for a big book to fit in. Cramming the books like this is similar to "defragmenting" a computer, which moves all data closer to itself making a big area of empty space instead of multiple gaps where books used to be.

Even though the space may be empty from someone taking the book, unless the Librarian scans the book, the system (FAT) will think it's still there/occupied. This is probably what happened in your case, and oftentimes FAT will have issues knowing what its truly free space is, especially on removable drives. Without using the "safely remove hardware" feature, the FAT may become corrupt or may not have finished writing everything.

Running chkdsk (right click on the drive, go to Tools, then "Scan Disk") or doing a format should both resolve the issue, I suggest backing what files are there up in both cases, as chkdsk may just replace the FAT.

steve b

Try emptying the recycle bin on it. Do a google search for more specifics. I have had to do that a few times.

steveb

Cadmn

I had a Toshiba 4gb lock its self & had to send it back & get it replaced they said it happens from time to time, rather upsetting in the middle of a Job.